Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What would you request for your last meal?

What would you request for your last meal?

Stumbled across a somewhat strange article recently about last meal requests by prisoners just prior to execution.
    http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2015/...ir-last-meals/
    Made me wonder what other individuals might request. (Giving you the benefit of the doubt for purposes of this exercise, let's assume you aren't necessarily awaiting imminent execution. I don't want to spoil your appetite.)

To preclude some really off the wall responses, let's say your requested meal would be prepared by an extremely talented -- but anonymous -- chef (so don't recall anything personally prepared by Escoffier, for example, or even Ferran Adria). And no virtually impossible to source or otherwise not normally available ingredients ingredients (e.g., no roasted ortolans).

I wonder whether anyone's last meal request would center on something as common as a burger or ribs (though, in this case, perfectly prepared).

O.k., without your limitations, I probably would have mentioned things that my Mom cooked for me. She is not an outstanding cook, but there are just some comfort food items I would enjoy as my last meal, like her potato salad, beef roulades etc. If it is made by an uninspired prison cook on a budget, please kill me before dinner...

I have not thought about this in terms of a compleatly composed meal, but I know what individual elements I would like to have. Ideally, there would be plenty of time for the meal, a selection of interesting wines to go with it, and - to be honest - if it were my last meal, I would want it to be a lot of food. So, dishes would include (in random order) Robouchon's potatoes, an endless supply of perfectly cooked white asparagus with handcrafted fresh butter, some long-braised beef dish with plenty of sauce (like roulades), fresh authentic baguette, a selection of authentic Spanish tapas (including pata negra ham, various regional cheeses, manzanilla olives, gambas al ajillo etc), a Vichyssoise, seared foie gras, a bit of sashimi, fried hamachi collars, and something with raspberries. There, turn that into a multi-course meal After writing this, if you wanted me to cut it down, it would be braised beef roulades a la Mama, fresh fingerling potatoes, and white asparagus. Dang, I gotta get dinner now...

Stefan

Tuna salad with hot peppers and provolone on a ciabatta roll, kosher dill pickle, onion rings and an egg cream.
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. - Lawrence

Gumbo, jambalaya, boiled crawfish/shrimp/crabs, fried chicken/ soft shells, biscuits, boudin. Gumbo, Biscuits, crawfish and softshells taking the top of the list. These hit a hard chord being from the south and growing up around them after really thinking about it. Each has its own special memory for me. On first thought lamb, scallops and fois gras came to mind. On second thought something that reminds me of where I came from seems like the most important for a last meal.

So close to NYC I would say NYC ... but don't tell a native New Yorker!
    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    After writing this, if you wanted me to cut it down, it would be braised beef roulades a la Mama, fresh fingerling potatoes, and white asparagus. Dang, I gotta get dinner now...

Stefan
    So German! I'd replace the potatoes with my grandmas dumplings, but other than that... I'm in!

a big juicey steak from a rare endangered species. that way they can never execute me.

or the top burger from the most popular fast food joints..that way i WANT to die.

Something to go

pork belly lettuce wraps prepared by jessica alba

A peanut butter & jam sandwich.

This way the allergic reaction would kill me first

Yoly’s Torta from Sparrow Bakery in Bend, Oregon.

Mexican pulled pork, spicy red chilli sauce, lettuce, avocado, onion, on a brioche bun - and I'd add a poached egg to it.

Spicy, tangy and unctuous.