Thread: Audiophiles: best ear buds under $150?

Audiophiles: best ear buds under $150?

Yes I know there are entire forums devoted to this topic but please save me from another rabbit hole

Looking for a pair of in-ear headphones (ear buds?). Don't need noise cancelling, fancy external controls, wireless/Bluetooth, sport features, crazy bass, or any of those bells and whistles. Just want (1) lush, detailed, knock your socks off sound quality in (2) something you could wear for hours with comfort.

Let's shoot for ~$150. Any suggestions?

ortofon e-q5

custom art music ones... they might be a bit over, but will blow your mind for sure and be very comfortable too

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    custom art music ones... they might be a bit over, but will blow your mind for sure and be very comfortable too
    Custom Art is discontinuing (replacing) Music One and Music Two models - it might be worth checking out whether they have some sort of discount. Piotr is very nice to deal with too. I can not comment on the product yet - mine should be finished by the end of April (and I can barely wait ).

Check out HiFiMan...I have their RE-Zero earbuds and they produce great sound with plenty of detail.

Quote Originally Posted by chiffonodd View Post
    Yes I know there are entire forums devoted to this topic but please save me from another rabbit hole

Looking for a pair of in-ear headphones (ear buds?). Don't need noise cancelling, fancy external controls, wireless/Bluetooth, sport features, crazy bass, or any of those bells and whistles. Just want (1) lush, detailed, knock your socks off sound quality in (2) something you could wear for hours with comfort.

Let's shoot for ~$150. Any suggestions?
    In order to satisfy #2, you'll have to check out your options of earpieces carefully as non-custom earbuds must have a good fit inside your ear in order to produce the qualities you seek in #1. Earbuds with very capable hardware won't sound anything like it if the fit in your ear is off.

Another bit of advice is to possibly look into earbuds with cables that are detachable from the actual bud itself. You're paying mostly for the drivers, not the cable. If you'll be using them often you will eventually wear out the cable. It sucks to have to replace the entire headphone just because the cable has a fault somewhere in it from heavy use.

I have the Orofons and they sound really good. I got comply foam tips to increase comfort. They are comfy and you get options. They seem to have a similar driver configuration to the music ones. I would love to be able to compare them.

Do you have to go to a doctor to get molds made for the music ones to fit properly? How does that work?
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    Custom Art is discontinuing (replacing) Music One and Music Two models - it might be worth checking out whether they have some sort of discount. Piotr is very nice to deal with too. I can not comment on the product yet - mine should be finished by the end of April (and I can barely wait ).
    they're replacing them with the FIBAE, right?

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    they're replacing them with the FIBAE, right?
    Yep. I heard about them before my order went into production, but Music Two is supposed to be more neutral, so I stayed with them. I also did not want to wait any longer than necessary

This is giving me flashbacks to asking what's better: tojiro DP or fujiwara FKM