Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Audiophiles: best ear buds under $150?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    975

    Audiophiles: best ear buds under $150?

    Yes I know there are entire forums devoted to this topic but please save me from another rabbit hole

    Looking for a pair of in-ear headphones (ear buds?). Don't need noise cancelling, fancy external controls, wireless/Bluetooth, sport features, crazy bass, or any of those bells and whistles. Just want (1) lush, detailed, knock your socks off sound quality in (2) something you could wear for hours with comfort.

    Let's shoot for ~$150. Any suggestions?


  2. #2
    Senior Member panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    south east florida
    Posts
    3,587
    ortofon e-q5


  3. #3

    JBroida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    5,765
    custom art music ones... they might be a bit over, but will blow your mind for sure and be very comfortable too

  4. #4
    Matus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,826
    Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    custom art music ones... they might be a bit over, but will blow your mind for sure and be very comfortable too
    Custom Art is discontinuing (replacing) Music One and Music Two models - it might be worth checking out whether they have some sort of discount. Piotr is very nice to deal with too. I can not comment on the product yet - mine should be finished by the end of April (and I can barely wait ).

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    110
    Check out HiFiMan...I have their RE-Zero earbuds and they produce great sound with plenty of detail.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Montreal
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by chiffonodd View Post
    Yes I know there are entire forums devoted to this topic but please save me from another rabbit hole

    Looking for a pair of in-ear headphones (ear buds?). Don't need noise cancelling, fancy external controls, wireless/Bluetooth, sport features, crazy bass, or any of those bells and whistles. Just want (1) lush, detailed, knock your socks off sound quality in (2) something you could wear for hours with comfort.

    Let's shoot for ~$150. Any suggestions?
    In order to satisfy #2, you'll have to check out your options of earpieces carefully as non-custom earbuds must have a good fit inside your ear in order to produce the qualities you seek in #1. Earbuds with very capable hardware won't sound anything like it if the fit in your ear is off.

    Another bit of advice is to possibly look into earbuds with cables that are detachable from the actual bud itself. You're paying mostly for the drivers, not the cable. If you'll be using them often you will eventually wear out the cable. It sucks to have to replace the entire headphone just because the cable has a fault somewhere in it from heavy use.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Chuckles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,652
    I have the Orofons and they sound really good. I got comply foam tips to increase comfort. They are comfy and you get options. They seem to have a similar driver configuration to the music ones. I would love to be able to compare them.

    Do you have to go to a doctor to get molds made for the music ones to fit properly? How does that work?
    If you're going through hell, keep going.

  8. #8

    JBroida's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Posts
    5,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    Custom Art is discontinuing (replacing) Music One and Music Two models - it might be worth checking out whether they have some sort of discount. Piotr is very nice to deal with too. I can not comment on the product yet - mine should be finished by the end of April (and I can barely wait ).
    they're replacing them with the FIBAE, right?

  9. #9
    Matus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,826
    Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    they're replacing them with the FIBAE, right?
    Yep. I heard about them before my order went into production, but Music Two is supposed to be more neutral, so I stayed with them. I also did not want to wait any longer than necessary

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    975
    This is giving me flashbacks to asking what's better: tojiro DP or fujiwara FKM



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •