Figured Ancient Bog Oak XLG Blocks stabilized by K&G

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
This is a new batch of 5460 year old Bog Oak blocks that just came back from getting stabilized by K&G.
Bog Oak is from old oak trees that died and fell into swampy areas and were covered by muck and sediment. While they were submerged the wood absorbed minerals from the sediment turning the wood from a blonde color to this charcoal/black color. The longer they are buried in the sediment, the darker they get. This wood was submerged for over 5000 years in the Ukraine. A test piece of the log that these blocks were cut from was carbon dated to be 5460 years old +/- 50 years. A paper copy of the carbon dating report will be included with each block.

Quite a few of the blocks in this batch are figured showing the flecks and rays like you see in antique furniture using quartersawn oak. The blocks are priced at $65 for the normal blocks, $70 for blocks with light figure and $75 for the ones with the best figure.

No Questions Asked Money Back Guarantee.
Free US Shipping. International shipping is a flat rate of $20 or free if your order is over $100.
The store software is programed to give volume discounts of 10% for orders over $200, or 20% for orders over $500.

Click on the photo to go to where these blocks are located in our web store. The blocks are much darker than they appear in this group photo.

Dude did you buy that whole tree??? Loving it tho.

Dude did you buy that whole tree??? Loving it tho.
It was a big log that these came from. They used to grow bigger trees 5000 years ago.
One of these times when I try to get more he will probably tell me I can't get any this old and I might have to settle for something only 4500 years old.
BTW:
I have only gone through 340 blocks from this log so far.

Not complaining or anything, but I have 5. I have yet to figure out how I'm gonna use them. Not to mention all the wood my dad had lying around here.

Just curious Mark,if the wood is so old,what is the benefit of stabilisation?

The stabilizing makes the wood harder and easier to finish.
I personally own knives with natural / not stabilized bog oak handles and ones with stabilized bog oak handles.
Some people just want the added insurance with stabilized wood. Especially on 1k+ knives.

Back