• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

wtb kochi 270mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

labor of love

That’s what Maboroshi said
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
im interested in picking up a kochi. really really prefer 270 length....either v2 or blue steel is fine. if you have another wa gyuto around the same price you want to get rid of let me know.

i havent recieved any interest yet. im probably going to pull the trigger on something else either today or tomorrow. doesnt have to be a kochi, just pm me what you got-im mainly looking at 270mm gyutos but i could use a 150mm petty too. thanks

i havent recieved any interest yet. im probably going to pull the trigger on something else either today or tomorrow. doesnt have to be a kochi, just pm me what you got-im mainly looking at 270mm gyutos but i could use a 150mm petty too. thanks

What did you end up getting instead? I'm looking for something similar at the moment but shipping is so damn expensive here in Aus.

uhh...bought a kato, used it for a couple of monthes then replaced it w/ watanabe gyuto. then i bought a gengetsu about 2 monthes ago also...i will definitely get a kochi v2 gyuto eventually, but right now im in the middle of moving and paying for a custom(tilman).

Out of all of those, which ones have you enjoyed using most? I nearly bought a watanabe recently but ive been curious about some of these other numbers lately

kato,gengetsu, and watanabe are all very very different. Honestly, I like them all. I dont think there is a better pure workhorse(heavy duty tasks)than Watanabe, atleast without paying double or triple the price of a Wat. Gengetsu is amazing. I own the white steel version and I find the edge retention to be very managable. Kato is a very very unique knife, but in the end i felt like i didnt use it enough professionally to keep it. of those 3 gengetsu is probably the best all around knife, that is if you were to only own and use 1 gyuto. But for some tougher things Watanabe is great.

I have a thinned kato , yoshikane skd (similar to gengetsu ) and kochi blue in 270. Kochi Is my favorite hands down and not likely to be sold or traded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why did you use the kato any less in a professional setting? How often did you find you needed to touch up the white genetsu? I love my ks although it requires more touching up. It doesn't take very long anyway. Im curious about the v2 steel of the kochi in comparison. I use my knives professionally myself and try to touch up at the end of my shifts out in the back kitchen before I go home

kato was fine for pro environment, i just prefer steels with more toughness i guess as my cutting techinque at times can be rough. im extremely picky, and ive sold off more knives than i should, many that i regret. i dont really keep up with how often i sharpen my gengetsu, i would say maybe once a week using either 400>4k or 1k>6k. kochi and gengetsu are both great knives, you cant go wrong with either choice. I dont sweat edge retention as much as many people seem to here at the forum, but it is nice to have.theres a few differences between kochi and gengetsu lines, but the main one to me would be the profiles. if i were you i would take a real close look at the profiles of the kochi and gengetsu lines, as they are very different. kochi is taller at the heel and maybe alittle flatter overall. my gengetsu reminds me of the ks profile but with alittle more knuckle clearance.

Edge retention isnt everything, I agree. Id prefer to get a good edge quickly and lose it than take forever, maybe making some mistakes here and there. Cheers for the info!

Latest posts

Back