Quantcast
New Takedas coming - Page 10
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: New Takedas coming

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    Any info on the ID of the stainless core?
    If your still talking about the Takeda's, the core is still AS, it's the cladding that's now stainless.

A bit confused, these are different from the Takedas on the knifewear site right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar View Post
    A bit confused, these are different from the Takedas on the knifewear site right now?
    Last I checked the new Stainless clad were not up on the Knifewear site. You have to email them for availability/pricing.

Does anyone know what the 'N' stamp on the blade (in place of the AS stamp on the prior blades) would stand for?

Those Yanagibas are really wide! It would be a great do-it-all gyuto-suji fusion.

Some news that I heard yesterday: the stainless-clad knives are not an option, they are going to be the only thing Takeda will be making from now on. The reason has more to do with rising costs on his end than anything else, and it is actually cheaper for him to make the new knives with stainless cladding than with his original cladding.

So... if you like the original cladding, get 'em while they're still available. If you like the stainless cladding, no worries, that's all he's gonna make from now on so no worries about supply balancing or anything like that
    Len

Hmm so it's cheaper for him to make but it's sold at a higher price (at least on that one site).

From what I understand, he'd have to raise his prices a fair bit if he didn't switch over to stainless-clad. The pricing difference we may see from particular retailers is due to what they expect to be higher demand for the stainless versus the original. Shosui Takeda himself has not changed his pricing though.

I'm just going by what I've heard from a good source, so this isn't first-hand knowledge.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Some news that I heard yesterday: the stainless-clad knives are not an option, they are going to be the only thing Takeda will be making from now on. The reason has more to do with rising costs on his end than anything else, and it is actually cheaper for him to make the new knives with stainless cladding than with his original cladding.

So... if you like the original cladding, get 'em while they're still available. If you like the stainless cladding, no worries, that's all he's gonna make from now on so no worries about supply balancing or anything like that
    What was his original cladding in?

kurouchi, a burnt finish over iron or very mild steel (don't know which)

shame this isn't an option after seeing how good it was from bkdc.. you still doin the vinegar test?? Time to showcase how inferior plian ole Fe is.. or not!! haha

I'll post another photo later. I went through a bunch of tomatos with the nakiri, and the cladding still looks just fine whereas the AS core has taken on the expected brownish patina. It's really weird how different 'iron' steels behave with regard to oxidation.