Quantcast
New Takedas coming - Page 6
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: New Takedas coming

They don't seem to have the AS stamp in them. I hope his other ones are still being made.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

The appearance is not as 'badass' as the iron kurouchi ones. I don't see the same random black with mottled nashiji patches that make the older version look so unique. But as long as they perform the same..... that is not an insignificant price increase.

How do you guys see the prices on these ones?

It's been a while since I bought a Takeda gyuto... were the profiles always that curved? Was there always that much belly starting that far back? I must have lucked out with mine.

And yes, prices on Takeda's knives have changed a bit over the years
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    How do you guys see the prices on these ones?

It's been a while since I bought a Takeda gyuto... were the profiles always that curved? Was there always that much belly starting that far back? I must have lucked out with mine.

And yes, prices on Takeda's knives have changed a bit over the years
    No, the older/first ones bought by the pioneers (i.e. direct from Japan) were very unique, with very flat profiles - almost like a giant santoku.

They changed when people started asking for a more conventional shape I reckon, but retained their characteristic height (obviously they make the narrow "Sasanoha" as well now). Now flatter profile is all the rage, so is the cyclical nature of the forums.

That's the kind of profile that mine has. I got mine second-hand but got it a few years ago now - it must be quite an older one then.
    Len

can you order directly from takeda? that woud be nice, you could request which profile you want perhaps.

Initially Takedas gyutos were very flat and then us Americans started requesting "more belly" when ordering directly from him so he got the message and started making them with a lot more belly which turned out to be too much, then he seemed to made a slow transition back to middle ground but never really lost the "more belly" feature we demanded. It's a shame because what was being looked for was a slight tweak off of the flat profile so that there was just a little more belly, not so dead ass flat but he went too far.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    can you order directly from takeda? that woud be nice, you could request which profile you want perhaps.

Yes you can and you can even custom order from them directly...

http://shop.niimi.okayama.jp/kajiya/eshop/index.html

Yup, he went too far. When my passaround is done, I'm going to using elbow-grease for some hours in reprofiling my Takeda 240 to something I prefer. I'll probably wear down my Atoma 140.

Shosui has been very accomodating with my requests. I requested an extra-long Funayuki, and he gave me one that was 180mm without charging extra. I asked for an extra long/wide nakiri, and he again accomodated my request without charging extra.

Here is Lee (Louisianacook)'s Takeda, it was maybe the first we ever laid our eyes upon....
    Attached Images Attached Images