Quantcast
New Takedas coming - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Takedas coming

That explains why I couldn't find em. Wanted to compare prices to a certain other site.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Aphex View Post
    Here's a pic of the stainless takeda's

so stainless kurouchi finish? this is the first time ive heard of this. anybody else heard of this? im i misunderstanding this, is there even a functional purpose for stainless kurouchi?

Recall these? It is for a darn cool look, mainly, I think. Although, I have fallen for it and got one from Heiji himself.

from a functional standpoint, wouldnt one of the main purposes of Kurouchi finish be to minimize reactivity? if so, just having kurouchi on a stainless clad knife would be for aesthetics only im guessing? nice looking heijis!

Watanabe offers stainless kurouchi up to 180mm.

I thought a 'nashiji' finish was typical after forging stainless. Unless there's some anti-stick property of the finish, it would be cosmetic. Based on the picture, it appears that the hammer marks are visible on the stainless Takeda.

WillC. has made some too.
    Beyond being a protective layer, I think kurouchi is cool because it reduces sticking both because of the finish and because of the slight variations in the forged surface. I have respect for the skill that goes into grinding / stock removal method of shaping a blade, but I think that doing it with just was a hammer is even cooler.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

kasumi & migaki(polish) finished require more time/process to do then kurouchi finished. stainless with kurouchi finished will keep cost down.....I think......not 100% sure....
    many people like kurouchi looking but hate kurouchi rough/rusty finished & will peel off/discolor overtime....... kurouchi Damascus solve this problem, basically just for aesthetics only!
    @schanop, FYI, top picture is from Heiji, bottom picture is Yoshikane SLD
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

yeah,

Any info on the ID of the stainless core?

+ Reply to Thread