Quantcast
New Takedas coming - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Takedas coming

I feel like takedas kurouchi is pretty amazing. It's my favorite kurouchi on any knife I've seen/owned/used. I think it is hands down a lot cooler looking and nicer than shigefusa or carter KU. It has three layers to it really, it has nishiji which is pitted and grey, it has the normal flat black KU that you see on every other maker, and it has a shiny lacquer coated layer that makes for a completely awesome look in my opinion. If takeda just makes regular stainless clad shiny knives I don't think I will really enjoy them. I feel like my takeda is something special.

The steel in my takeda is unmatched in achievable sharpness and edge retention compared to any carbon steel knife I've used and I think it is way worth the money. I can easily shave with my petty and it holds the edge at that high of a level after a days shift of not only butchering tuna, swordfish, tombo, and salmon, but also working the line all night. I can still pick it up and clean shave my arm with it. It truly amazes me.

I would recommend to anyone and everyone that you should as well own one of takedas knives. If you find a fit and feel in one of his knives that you like, I don't think his AS steel can be topped.

I found my favorite in the 210mm yanagi that I purchased from a forum member here.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

I have had absolutely no problem with rusting or oxidation from Takeda's amazing kurouchi finish even with leaving acidic juices on it for an hour or more. That lacquer finish is tough. I don't know what stainless will add to this unless I'm going to leave it soaking in the kitchen sink. It's all rumor to me, but if Shosui can create a stainless knife with the current geometry, I'm sure it will sell well. His Aogami Super takes an AMAZING edge (I have a hard time telling it apart from White #1), has the BEST edge retention in my kitchen, and is as tough as any steel. I have yet to make it chip except when I have accidentally slammed it on a metal object. Umm.. ok. Fujiwara Teruyasu's blue steel might be a little better in edge retention.

I don't think Takeda's knives are overpriced in general. His very small knives seem overpriced for how much blade you get.

People have stated that they have found various knives that perform better than Takeda. The Takeda gyuto remains my #1 favorite knife. It is currently being passed around.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post
    I feel like takedas kurouchi is pretty amazing. It's my favorite kurouchi on any knife I've seen/owned/used. I think it is hands down a lot cooler looking and nicer than shigefusa or carter KU. It has three layers to it really, it has nishiji which is pitted and grey, it has the normal flat black KU that you see on every other maker, and it has a shiny lacquer coated layer that makes for a completely awesome look in my opinion. If takeda just makes regular stainless clad shiny knives I don't think I will really enjoy them. I feel like my takeda is something special.

The steel in my takeda is unmatched in achievable sharpness and edge retention compared to any carbon steel knife I've used and I think it is way worth the money. I can easily shave with my petty and it holds the edge at that high of a level after a days shift of not only butchering tuna, swordfish, tombo, and salmon, but also working the line all night. I can still pick it up and clean shave my arm with it. It truly amazes me.

I would recommend to anyone and everyone that you should as well own one of takedas knives. If you find a fit and feel in one of his knives that you like, I don't think his AS steel can be topped.

I found my favorite in the 210mm yanagi that I purchased from a forum member here.

Im jealous now, uhmmmm can I buy it back?

If he changed the gyuto profile as well, Takeda may have a winner.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    If he changed the gyuto profile as well, Takeda may have a winner.
    Cant tell if this is sarcasm or not, change the profile that makes a Takeda a Takeda? Why would he want to make it like every one else, all we need is another crappy masimoto clone.

Overpriced? Really, I thought they were priced great for a hand forged knife. Last I checked he was not using machines to mass produce....maybe times have changed since I last checked in.

Hmm should be interesting might check one out as I seriously love my takeda nakiri as it stays sharp for a decent amount of time and it has barely any reactivity/oxidation issues.

Are these going to be polished? I really don't see the need for another shiny stainless clad knife. The rustic ku finish is a big part of what makes his knives so special, and immediately recognizable.

I like Takeda's knives the way they are. I have no reactivity issues with the cladding, and the KU is pretty tough. With a shiny stainless cladding, I think they lose some of their character. Change the profile - I happen to like taller profiles - and I'd have to dismiss the line entirely.
    Len

It will still be KU finished. I really dug my Takeda, just wished it was a bit less tall. I should probably try the sasanoha profile some day....

I personally think stainless cladding is a plus. I've found softer, non stainless cladded knives to be extremely reactive.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

takeda kurouchi may be good against reactivity, but theres plenty of nicer more even kurouchi cladding on knives that cost alot less. IMO.

+ Reply to Thread