Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: New Takedas coming

Attachment 17967

Click image for larger version

Name:	patina1.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	17969

Long round of tomatoes, Korean kimchi. Where's the oxidation on the cladding??

Here's my Fujiwara Teruyasu after 5 minutes in kimchi juice.

Click image for larger version

Name:	patina2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	17968

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Yes you can and you can even custom order from them directly...

http://shop.niimi.okayama.jp/kajiya/eshop/index.html
    FYI.. on this link.. there is a link to his dealers in USA too... may save you shipping costs..

rgds
    d

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    No, the older/first ones bought by the pioneers (i.e. direct from Japan) were very unique, with very flat profiles - almost like a giant santoku.

They changed when people started asking for a more conventional shape I reckon, but retained their characteristic height (obviously they make the narrow "Sasanoha" as well now). Now flatter profile is all the rage, so is the cyclical nature of the forums.
    Nice Takeda you have Tim.That is more traditional flatter edge profile slight rise at tip,drop nose.Why anyone would want to change that escapes me.

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Nice Takeda you have Tim.That is more traditional flatter edge profile slight rise at tip,drop nose.Why anyone would want to change that escapes me.
    It's not mine, sadly. I did have one but it had more belly than this. Nice knife, beautiful hammered taper.

Hard to believe that the unique flat profile was a source of derision, and got him making knives with more belly.

+1. that profile with a 58mm or so height at the heel would be my dream takeda. ive always wanted a big ole santoku!

Yeh flatter profile is the rage for some,but it is not new by any means the japanese have been doing it a long time back to tobbaco cutting blades centuries ago.

My first Masa that bought in 1984 was way diff. than the Masamoto's sold today.Super thin flatter drop nose.I'm a cheap bastard in Hawaii bought carbons at the swap meet & cleaned them up. Got a rusty drop nose carbon dried out D handle between 240 & 270 for about 15.00 in the late 80's,Did massive,massive amounts of banquet prep. wt that antique japan blade.It had kanji carved on the blade,it got thinner & worn down over the years.One of my favorite all time knives.

You can still find old japan gyutos & single bevels at the swap meet here.For years I was certain that carbon steel rules & that stainless was crap coming from forschners to these manificent old Japan carbons.I was not alone Tin Fu who I learned cleaver skills from did not own a single stainless knife.Being a good Pake he would hunt down cheap carbons at the swap meet too.

Later the most money I had spent(with the exception of a Aritsugu Yanagi)I bought a Takagi honyaki from Japan woodworker,cus it had the shape I loved & wanted a Honyaki blade.When I got it was surprized that it was a beasty gyuto wt. weight behind it.Thick blade with a assem. edge.Great edge holding & terrific lobster splitter.Later I put a stepan handle on it,I think Dave mounted it.

Later I read on the web somewhere someone thinned the crap out of his blade.I could not beleave it to take a thicker honyaki blade & ruin it.To me it was stupid if you want a thin guyto buy one.The slag finish was durable over time I lost tiny bit of it.

I have deff. softened about stainless just in last couple years have a couple quality stainless blades.Hope have not bored you guys I'm on a Forum roll tonight

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    Does anyone know what the 'N' stamp on the blade (in place of the AS stamp on the prior blades) would stand for?
    According to an email from Mr. Takeda, it means "new".

heres a photo of knife wears current stainless clad takeda inventory. the profile was only ok IMO. so i ordered a gengetsu instead.
    Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Which Gengetsu did you order?You will have to give us an update when you start using it.

Which Gengetsu did you order?You will have to give us an update when you start using it.
    carbon baby. CARBON!

+ Reply to Thread