New Takedas coming

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDispossessed

Reaction score
So I hear from a knife merchant (who seems to be curiously absent from any mention on this forum, but anyways) that stainless clad takedas are in the works.
fyi

I hope it's not the crappy knife merchant that everyone loathes...if so I wouldn't buy anything he says or sells...

no no, it's not that guy, i would not even have mentioned it here if it was.

so are these new stainless clad takedas going to be exclusively sold by that one merchant? they do sound like an improvement honestly. i was never really impressed with takedas kurouchi.

i bet they'll be sold through many avenues eventually and directly i'm sure, these guys just claim they are getting the first ones. i've never even seen a takeda in person, but i know they get a lot of love

no no, it's not that guy, i would not even have mentioned it here if it was.

Ok, so we've established that it's not blades on the move, how about a hint? Cause I can't think of another Tekada vendor that's meet with general disapproval.:scratchhead:

Interesting but I'm cautious about buying the 1st run of anything.

just to clarify, mark is definitely talking about carrying these knives, and theres going to be a price increase. i thought takedas were already kinda overpriced.

what>???>> should I wait to move my Takeda until the price improves... :D

I feel like takedas kurouchi is pretty amazing. It's my favorite kurouchi on any knife I've seen/owned/used. I think it is hands down a lot cooler looking and nicer than shigefusa or carter KU. It has three layers to it really, it has nishiji which is pitted and grey, it has the normal flat black KU that you see on every other maker, and it has a shiny lacquer coated layer that makes for a completely awesome look in my opinion. If takeda just makes regular stainless clad shiny knives I don't think I will really enjoy them. I feel like my takeda is something special.

The steel in my takeda is unmatched in achievable sharpness and edge retention compared to any carbon steel knife I've used and I think it is way worth the money. I can easily shave with my petty and it holds the edge at that high of a level after a days shift of not only butchering tuna, swordfish, tombo, and salmon, but also working the line all night. I can still pick it up and clean shave my arm with it. It truly amazes me.

I would recommend to anyone and everyone that you should as well own one of takedas knives. If you find a fit and feel in one of his knives that you like, I don't think his AS steel can be topped.

I found my favorite in the 210mm yanagi that I purchased from a forum member here.

I have had absolutely no problem with rusting or oxidation from Takeda's amazing kurouchi finish even with leaving acidic juices on it for an hour or more. That lacquer finish is tough. I don't know what stainless will add to this unless I'm going to leave it soaking in the kitchen sink. It's all rumor to me, but if Shosui can create a stainless knife with the current geometry, I'm sure it will sell well. His Aogami Super takes an AMAZING edge (I have a hard time telling it apart from White #1), has the BEST edge retention in my kitchen, and is as tough as any steel. I have yet to make it chip except when I have accidentally slammed it on a metal object. Umm.. ok. Fujiwara Teruyasu's blue steel might be a little better in edge retention.

I don't think Takeda's knives are overpriced in general. His very small knives seem overpriced for how much blade you get.

People have stated that they have found various knives that perform better than Takeda. The Takeda gyuto remains my #1 favorite knife. It is currently being passed around.

I feel like takedas kurouchi is pretty amazing. It's my favorite kurouchi on any knife I've seen/owned/used. I think it is hands down a lot cooler looking and nicer than shigefusa or carter KU. It has three layers to it really, it has nishiji which is pitted and grey, it has the normal flat black KU that you see on every other maker, and it has a shiny lacquer coated layer that makes for a completely awesome look in my opinion. If takeda just makes regular stainless clad shiny knives I don't think I will really enjoy them. I feel like my takeda is something special.

The steel in my takeda is unmatched in achievable sharpness and edge retention compared to any carbon steel knife I've used and I think it is way worth the money. I can easily shave with my petty and it holds the edge at that high of a level after a days shift of not only butchering tuna, swordfish, tombo, and salmon, but also working the line all night. I can still pick it up and clean shave my arm with it. It truly amazes me.

I would recommend to anyone and everyone that you should as well own one of takedas knives. If you find a fit and feel in one of his knives that you like, I don't think his AS steel can be topped.

I found my favorite in the 210mm yanagi that I purchased from a forum member here.

Im jealous now, uhmmmm can I buy it back?

If he changed the gyuto profile as well, Takeda may have a winner.

Cant tell if this is sarcasm or not, change the profile that makes a Takeda a Takeda? Why would he want to make it like every one else, all we need is another crappy masimoto clone.

Overpriced? Really, I thought they were priced great for a hand forged knife. Last I checked he was not using machines to mass produce....maybe times have changed since I last checked in.

Hmm should be interesting might check one out as I seriously love my takeda nakiri as it stays sharp for a decent amount of time and it has barely any reactivity/oxidation issues.

Are these going to be polished? I really don't see the need for another shiny stainless clad knife. The rustic ku finish is a big part of what makes his knives so special, and immediately recognizable.

I like Takeda's knives the way they are. I have no reactivity issues with the cladding, and the KU is pretty tough. With a shiny stainless cladding, I think they lose some of their character. Change the profile - I happen to like taller profiles - and I'd have to dismiss the line entirely.

It will still be KU finished. I really dug my Takeda, just wished it was a bit less tall. I should probably try the sasanoha profile some day....

I personally think stainless cladding is a plus. I've found softer, non stainless cladded knives to be extremely reactive.

takeda kurouchi may be good against reactivity, but theres plenty of nicer more even kurouchi cladding on knives that cost alot less. IMO.

takeda kurouchi may be good against reactivity, but theres plenty of nicer more even kurouchi cladding on knives that cost alot less. IMO.

And it just wears off after a while anyway. The lone takeda left in my blocks now has pretty much a flat gray finish from being cleaned with Bar Keeper's Friend so many times.

Is there any way to find out what retailer the OP was mentioning?

Are these going to be polished? I really don't see the need for another shiny stainless clad knife. The rustic ku finish is a big part of what makes his knives so special, and immediately recognizable.
I can't imagine Takeda making a shiny anything, that man don't do bling.

And it just wears off after a while anyway. The lone takeda left in my blocks now has pretty much a flat gray finish from being cleaned with Bar Keeper's Friend so many times.

I would recommend never putting bar keepers friend on your knives. :2cents:

So don't put it on your knives. It won't hurt my feelings. Did you notice another post here today that mentions pro Japanese chefs clean their knives with scouring powder all the time? Takeda's finish doesn't patina worth a hoot and you need to clean them someway.

Hey guys,
I simply wouldn't make mention of anything going on over at cktg for multiple reasons, the least of which is that i don't hang out over there so wouldn't know anything that's happening anyways.
The vendor mentioned is Knifewear.
And i clean my knives with BKF all the time.

Back