Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Observations from a Kaiseki kitchen

Thanks Mike!

Congrads on your job.Learn as much as you can fr. those guys.All the high end Sushi chefs I know use carbon single bevels Yanagiba,Deba etc.,Including the owner of A-Frames who was Sushi Chef at Tokyo Tokyo here in Honolulu.You are right they never use steels,only stones.The Gyuto are double bevel,but almost all Japanese gyuto are Assem.I am not sure why,but to me they cut better than 50/50 edges.

Just checked out the menu. Shojin; not true kaiseki, but looks pretty good. How long have you been open? I don't remember Kajitsu when I was still in NY.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Hi, thanks for sharing!

I have a few questions about knife skills (esp. with the usuba), perhaps you can help me?

I've read Japanese Kitchen Knives: Essential Techniques and Recipes, and while it is a wonderful book it focuses on cuts less familiar to westerners (katsuramuki and ken, sasagaki, chasen-giri...). But not, for example:
    - how to cut an apple or root veg in half with the usuba without breaking it
    - is there a difference in how to dice vegetables with the usuba compared with western technique? (I assume there must be, otherwise how to get a medium/large dice without wedging/breaking the veg?)
    - do people in your kitchen ever mince anything (e.g. garlic - not so common in Japanese cuisine, but maybe something else)? If yes, how do they avoid rocking? I read before that the deba would be used in this case.

Thanks!

i think you'll find that many chefs use gyuto for cutting larger harder things in half (i.e. gyuto to cut diakon into the size needed for katsuramuki).

On dice, i dont know why, but i never had a probelm with wedging... done it a whole bunch. But you see markedly less dicing in this kind of cuisine.

Mincing occurs, and can be done as a bruniose is done by using an usuba.

oroshigane is used as well for making 'minced' ginger (or shoga) but it produces something closer to a paste than a mince.
    and in shojin ryori there's no garlic used so..

I've always wanted to go to kajitsu. Especially before they moved. I've been at brushstroke for a year now. We should get together for a beer some day! Sono San at Kyoya is indeed an amazing nice guy.

Hi guys,

Not sure if the asymmetrical vs symmetrical thing is offtopic, but I thought my input might be a little useful here:

I showed the guy at Shigeharu in Kyoto (is he called Shigeharu? I just call him Oji-san haha) my 99/1 Aritsugu A-type gyuto, and while he gave me a lecture on overgrinds, shinogi lines and my pitiful sharpening skills, he seemed to approve of the asymmetry!

ryan

Can you explain the regular stone progression you guys use?