Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yusuke Sakai--Extra Thick, Extra hard 240 Gyuto

Yusuke Sakai--Extra Thick, Extra hard 240 Gyuto

I was poking around ebay and came up on this listing. I have no affiliation with this seller and have never bought anything from him nor am I promoting him. I just know that many people on this forum love Yusukes and the swedish stainless, 2.8 spine and flat profile gyutos are very very rare. i know cause I waited seven months. For what its worth:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sakai-Yusuke...#ht_4708wt_861

I don't like that he describes this as a 'both hands' knife. I don't know of a Sakai Yusuke that doesn't have an asymmetric grind.

thats because this seller probably doesn't know much about knives regarding asymmetry. The four Yusuke's I have are not that asymectric anyway and he's correct, they are designed for both hands. I use and edge pro to sharpen them and I sharpen them at the same angle around 11 degrees

That can't be the flatter profile.

I knew it wouldn't be long before you posted some comment labor.

Why do you think it isn't the flatter profile? Doubt you can tell by looking at it the photo. I can hardly tell when eyeball my two Yusuke 240 side by side.

I would appreciate a choil shot of a Yusuke gyuto. The eBay choil shots put up by Keiichi appear asymmetric to me. The easiest way is to stick a ruler right up against the blade and see if there is curvature away from the ruler.

My Masamoto SW is almost perfectly flat on one side.

BK, They're not that asymmetric at all believe me. I've got the 240 in flat-hard swedish steel, 240 in W#2, 210 in flat-hard swedish steel and a 300 suij in hard swedish steel. like i said, I use the Edge Pro and don't change the angle when sharpening. There is some asymmetry there but its minor maybe 45/55

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    I knew it wouldn't be long before you posted some comment labor.

Why do you think it isn't the flatter profile? Doubt you can tell by looking at it the photo. I can hardly tell when eyeball my two Yusuke 240 side by side.
    I don't think it's the flat profile because its not flat lol. Pretty obvious. Look at the photos under the description. More curves than Christina Hendricks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    BK, They're not that asymmetric at all believe me. I've got the 240 in flat-hard swedish steel, 240 in W#2, 210 in flat-hard swedish steel and a 300 suij in hard swedish steel. like i said, I use the Edge Pro and don't change the angle when sharpening. There is some asymmetry there but its minor maybe 45/55
    The bevels can be the same angle, doesn't mean the blade faces are symmetric as well.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Thanks Johnny, Good point. But since the blade faces are the same thickness on each side when compairing them to the choil (least in the Yusukes I have), would one not assume that they are symmectric?

Labor, I'm not with ya bud. As said, I can barely tell the difference between the regular profile and the new-flatter profile with my knives side by side, handle to handle.

Moreover, why would Yusuke make an extra thick, extra hard gyuto in a regular profile, when they know the flatter profile is very sought after?