Thread: symmetrical gyuto

symmetrical gyuto

Some friends were just round and playing with my CarboNext 210 gytuo and they said they wanted one.
    Problem is he is left- and she right-handed.
    I pointed out it was a problem.
    He said it was fine.

So - either I just point them to the JCK site and tell them to get a CarboNext, or you guys tell me a nice symmetrical gyuto they could buy. Probably semi or totally stainless, ideally one that I wont have to be sharpening for them every three weeks...

We are in UK so a JCK knife would be nice....

Thanks

Robert

budget? =D

If he says that the asymmetry isn't a problem, then let them get a Carbonext. Then get a synthetic aoto from Maksim at JNS and teach one of them how to strop on it to extend the time that you have to sharpen it.

Rick
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Budget I guess in the CarboNext range with a bit of leeway.

I don't mind him having a CarboNext if he says he isn't worried by wrong handed assymmetry, but I would be happier to recommend a knife they could both use properly.

Tanaka blues are pretty ambidextrous. I have one, and my sous has one and he is left handed. I am not sure if that is the same with the VG10 or ginsanko line. Also the gesshin Uraku 210 gyuto looks pretty symmetric except for the bevel and that is neither a big deal nor hard to fix. But considering carbonext is on sale at JCK right now for $105 it is going to be hard to beat.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

Most left-handed are used to blades that are not exactly ideal to them. Get the Carbonext, attenuate its asymmetry a bit by recentering the edge a little and convex the left face, and you have a pretty neutral blade.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Most left-handed are used to blades that are not exactly ideal to them. Get the Carbonext, attenuate its asymmetry a bit by recentering the edge a little and convex the left face, and you have a pretty neutral blade.

Sounds good to me, I will send them a link!

Thanks all.