Quantcast
Suisin INOX vs Suisin INOX Honyaki
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suisin INOX vs Suisin INOX Honyaki

Suisin INOX vs Suisin INOX Honyaki

I would like to ask about the difference between Suisin INOX and Suisin INOX Honyaki knives. The obvious difference is the design of the knives (western vs. japanese), but I guess there is more difference give that the Honyaki knives are 3 times the price. They seem to use the same steel (12c27), but that is all I found out.

I have browsed around, but did not find an answer.

thanks, Matus

No, the steel is different. The Western handled INOX knives are AUS-8 (RC 58), the INOX Honyaki are Sandvik 19c27 (RC 61).

I would imagine the honyaki are forged with traditional honyaki (monosteel) techniques while the regular inox are not. I don't know if the western are sanmai or warikomi (cladded) or simply stamped or laser/water jet cut monosteel. Maybe Jon or Mari has some more insight since they both carry this line.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

The SIH are not true honyaki, merely monosteel knives.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

i've owned both,
    the western inox is one soft, unremarkable piece of steel and fairly thick at that (to me) but excellent for the price and great for beginners and home cooks who prefer yo-handles. can take some abuse as a workhorse.
    the IH is indeed not a real honyaki from what i can tell but is quite thin and hard. it is superbly ground if you are a righty and may be the benchmark knife for stainless wa-gyuto laser and such. i personally did not like the machi because it pinched my finger from time to time.
    I think that many makers have caught up with suisin on this line and are offering comparable stainless laser types for much less.

I find the INOX thing funny, from a marketing perspective, because it does sound cooler than stainless

+1 to not liking the machi gap on suisin IH. other than that, theyre fantastic.

Thanks, I actually did not know what 'honyaki' means (and did some googling afterwards). The information on the steel is very valuable - for some reason I got the impression that the cheaper Suisin INOX knives are also made from the 12c27 (which seemed possible since my Mora 2000 is also made from 12c27, costs €25 and is really good).

So - once I was enlightened, how is the AUS-8 from Suisin? is it worth it for its price? I mean, I have not heard too much praise for AUS-8 so far (word of hunting knives though)

for the price, the inox western is great. but it is what it is. More of a intro Jknife. goot fit and finish being hardened to 60hrc seem to me the 2 best things about that knife. alot of knives ive compared to the inox western(masamoto vg, misono moly, maybe even mac)dont have steel that is hardened as high hrc.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDispossessed View Post
    I find the INOX thing funny, from a marketing perspective, because it does sound cooler than stainless
    INOX is generally used term by Japanese makers to refer to a stainless steel. I have a stainless Sakai Takayuki petty knife that has "INOX" stamped in it.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

+ Reply to Thread