Quantcast
Suisin INOX vs Suisin INOX Honyaki - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suisin INOX vs Suisin INOX Honyaki

i thought inox was short for inoxidable.

Quote Originally Posted by Matus View Post
    Thanks, I actually did not know what 'honyaki' means (and did some googling afterwards). The information on the steel is very valuable - for some reason I got the impression that the cheaper Suisin INOX knives are also made from the 12c27 (which seemed possible since my Mora 2000 is also made from 12c27, costs €25 and is really good).

So - once I was enlightened, how is the AUS-8 from Suisin? is it worth it for its price? I mean, I have not heard too much praise for AUS-8 so far (word of hunting knives though)
    As has been written here many times, how good a certain steel is depends on how it's treated. The same steel used by different makers can be drastically different.

That being said, I used the Suisin INOX western and liked the performance of that knife more compared directly to a CarboNext. It's a little thinner, felt more balanced in the hand, cut through many items more smoothly than the CarboNext. I did not sharpen it so I can't comment on how long it held an edge, etc., but after using one for a week almost daily, I felt that the edge retention for a home cook is sufficient. I was also more impressed with the performance of the Suisin INOX Western than a Hiromoto.

I would personally choose the Suisin INOX Western over many other knives at similar prices.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    i thought inox was short for inoxidable.
    I believe it is. But Japanese makers seem to commonly identify knives made of stainless steel as "Inox."
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

sorry, double post because of problems with internet connection

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I believe it is. But Japanese makers seem to commonly identify knives made of stainless steel as "Inox."
    As do the French makers:

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Quote Originally Posted by TheDispossessed View Post
    the IH...is quite thin and hard. it is superbly ground if you are a righty and may be the benchmark knife for stainless wa-gyuto laser and such.
    It's very good, I've had mine for about 18 months and it's still a joy everytime I pick it up.

While I haven't used one, I understand that JKI's Gesshin Ginga is almost as good, but a much better value.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

ginga and suisin are equally good in my opinion, their strengths are just little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    The SIH are not true honyaki, merely monosteel knives.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    As do the French makers:
    Don't forget, a certain Swiss maker even integrated it into their name:

I've always presumed that the Inox was a carry over from French smiths in regards to the Japanese application, especially in regards to the fact that most gyutos have a heavily influenced sabatier profile.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky