Quantcast
Are Shun Premiers that bad? Thinking about a set for a beginner
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Shun Premiers that bad? Thinking about a set for a beginner

Are Shun Premiers that bad? Thinking about a set for a beginner

Hey guys,
    I'm relatively new to cooking, but I've got about $500 saved up for some quality kitchen knives. Not going to lie, I first got googly eyed when I saw a Shun Premier, and I'm seriously considering ordering this set.

I have a couple noobish questions. Which knives are essential to have for a beginner? I believe in buy once, cry once so I'd like to invest in some quality knives. It may be bad for me to say this, but I really love the aesthetics of the Shun Premiers and was wondering if there were other quality alternatives that were also very nice looking. Searching through these forums, it seems most people here strongly dislike the Shuns as decent but extremely overpriced knives.

I agree with the consensus on shuns. I'm not a big fan. Especially for the price. Check out some of the moderate priced brands on korin or japanesechefsknife. Hattori, Misino, Masamoto, Togiharu, Suisen, Mac are all decent brands. All you really need is a chefs knife "gyuto", slicer "sujihiki", and paring knife. At least to begin with. Maybe a boning or fillet knife if you like to do fish or butchery. Also a petty knife is a useful knife too but those are the three main knives. Korin has several sets of all three of these knives from misino and togiharu starting just under $300. I would strongly recommend these over shun. I prefer carbon steel knives, but if your bad about drying them off and taking care of them, then you might want to consider stainless steal. Carbon steel will rust but if you just clean them and dry them off you shouldn't have a problem. If they do get a little rust on them it is a fixable problem. I hope this is helpful.

Welcome to the forum!

As to Shun, just better stuff for the money. For $500 you can get a few necessary badass knives--and even a stone to keep them badass. I would suggest: gyuto, parer/petty (depending on preference), bread knife if you cut a lot of bread and you're all set. If you fill out the questionnaire you will get more specific help on gyuto and accompanying knives--it helps us help you and helps you think about some of the things that are important to you.

Cheers
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Jon at JKI also has several starter sets like this...including some not listed on his website. Might be worth a call/e-mail to him, as well as Korin and JCK.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Shun's look very pretty. They will cut, but you can get a better knife for the money,even with as much bling if you want. Please fill out the questionnaire it will help us help you.

Oh ya
    Chewie's the man.

this line is fancy hammered damascus clad stuff, the aesthetic is in the same ballpark as shun premiers, but with better profiles, lower prices and better steel http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...us-series.html

I forgot about JKI. It's definitely worth checking out.

Where is this questionnaire? I'd like to check it out.

Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Thanks for all your advice so far, and keep them coming please! I'm reading each of them and soaking it all in!

I actually considered doing the knife questionnaire, but honestly... I'm new to all this and will be needing more than just a single knife. Maybe it's just me being picky, but it'd be great to just pick a single line of knives to buy from instead of mix/matching from various makers.
    I actually had a few more questions... about how do you store your knives and is it difficult to keep them sharp? My buddy was the one who even alerted me to Shun and just recommended getting everything from them including honing steel and a knife block, but I didn't realize there were so many alternatives out there!
    Is there a preferred steel material? I guess I don't really mind overpaying for Shun if they look beautiful and work well, but all these searches keep turning up information on chipping, steel quality, etc.