Economic knife display suggestions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckTheButcher

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out the best way to display my knives without breaking the bank. I've been amazed with how much display cases are on the internet and those aren't even designed for knives. Not sure how great they would look anyways. I am open to wall mounts or cabinet style or anything for that matter. There is over 40 knives I want to display. So if anyone has any idea's please let me know. I've been trying to figure this out for the past month. Also I have heard that it is not a great idea to use magnetic bars to display your knives because the knives can become magnetized over time. Don't know if this is true or not. If anyone has more information on magnetic strips I'd love to know.

Last edited:
You don't want your knives to get magnetized because then they will take the iron out of the beef that you cut. Then you have to take those iron pills.....

Yeah they get magnetized! Big whoop wanna fight about it?

Magnetic knife blocks are fine for display. If I had any woodworking skill I would try and make a few but its easier (and probably cheaper for me) to order from magblock. Marko makes some that are both functional and easy on the eyes.

Any ferrous metal (includes almost all knife blades) can be made magnetic with application of enough voodoo. This is not likely to happen with incidental contact on and off a magnetic knife holder and magnetism will not leach from the magnets into the knife while knife is on holder. If you were to stroke a knife on the holder a few hundred times within a short period of time you could probably induce enough magnetism to pick up some iron filings. Otherwise its a non-issue.

I've seen pics of your knives and economical is a word that should not be used near them...even referring to storage. I might recommend something from a local custom wood worker and it may be less expensive than you may think.

Cheers!

I've seen pics of your knives and economical is a word that should not be used near them...even referring to storage. I might recommend something from a local custom wood worker and it may be less expensive than you may think.

Cheers!
Yeah. Didn't mean cheap. I meant I'm not trying to spend thousands of dollars on a display case not even designed for knives. I'd rather buy more knives. Thanks for the advice. I really have no idea how much custom wood work costs.

Maybe you can try hacking an ikea furniture. Like a kitchen cabinet cut in half, or maybe one of of those shallow tv cabinets, or a bookcase with the glass doors. Then just add magnetic strips and lights inside. There's also a website called ikeahackers you can browse and get ideas from.

Try the Bay as well. I've seen some pretty nice antique/vintage cabinets that would serve very well.

Best one I saw was a glass faced announcement board from an old church. If it would have shipped here, I would have bought it.

Back