Quantcast
Skunks in the basement where my shop is located - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skunks in the basement where my shop is located

Haha, I called my basement neighbor, and told him about our new pets. He is terrified.

I hope they will leave on their own though. Will see tomorrow.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Skunks are cool! There used to be a family of skunks that would visit us every night. We'd been putting out peanuts for the birds, and it turns out skunks are fans of peanuts. This one was my favorite, shown making short work of a peanut:

Name:  Skunk B 1.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  28.8 KB

It would come up to our screen door in the evening and "knock" and ask for peanuts. They'd grab a peanut and back up, rolling the peanut on the ground. Apparently that's what they do when they catch a beetle to break off the legs before they eat it. There were some babies, too--one that was solid black except for a white tip on the end of its tail. They're funny to watch--with those long claws, they look like women with overly long fingernails trying to type. Apparently they had a home under a neighbor's shed, and when he found them he called animal control. Miss our skunks!
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Reminds me, its been years since I have seen a good Pepe le Pew show. Skunks are pretty cute, but man, that stuff takes weeks to come off. My dog was sprayed when I was a kid and was bannished outside for a month.

My dog pays no attention to skunks, luckily, but everything else - foxes, chipmunks, deer is a game. He is more a chaser than a catcher, so I am not worrying that he will kill anything.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

My dog thinks everybody and everything is his friend. He got sprayed a few months ago and it could be smelled on him for a couple months. Poor guy. He handled it really well, though!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

We had a 120 pound black Shepard when I was growing up that never learned the lessons that Skunks and (far worse) porcupines teach. He was incredibly smart, well behaved, and a great dog in every other sense. Just couldn't resist the temptation I suppose. On another note- I've heard more than one story of de-scenting and domesticating skunks. Apparently they make great living companions. Btw- nice work Marko. Compassion takes a little more effort, but is well worth it.

Cheers,

- Josh
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    I had a baseball coach that had a skunk for a pet. (you take out the stink gland while they are a kit) Loved that skunk. Almost as fun as having a bunny as a pet. Sister, had a skunk until it started scratching her furniture up. She isn't into discipline much.
    Chewie's the man.

sorry, i dont feed wild animals. just encourages more human to animal contact and that equals more problems..that usually end with the animal losing.

and your skunk problem is pretty easy to fix. get the basement nice and bright. turn on the lights, even go as far as bringing in some new lights. get it super bright. skunks like to nest up in dark places, so dont leave it dark.

i had to do this in a crawl space. i dusted the entrances with raw flour. that way i could see footprints and i knew when he was gone. i shut all the holes with wire and my problems went away. in the daytime, i fixed the holes with a more permanent solution.

havent had a problem since.

Quote Originally Posted by Crothcipt View Post
    I had a baseball coach that had a skunk for a pet. (you take out the stink gland while they are a kit) Loved that skunk. Almost as fun as having a bunny as a pet. Sister, had a skunk until it started scratching her furniture up. She isn't into discipline much.
    anyone else see the irony?

let's take a wild animal. surgically enhance it so it can be more compatible to live with YOU. and call yourself a skunk lover..

there is no doubt that if you asked that skunk and gave him a choice, he would have opted out of the surgery.

i know a lady, she wears "cat sweaters", she knits "cat pillows"..cats, cats, cats..everything cats..oh, and she looooves antique furniture. so to have both, she has to declaw all of her cats. she loves having cats, she doenst love cats.

leave the wild animals alone. we sure has hell didnt do the grizzlies in national parks any favors.

Another way to get rid of the skunks is with Fox Urine.
    Here is a link where you can buy the urine granules online.
    Or.....Walmart carries aerosol Coyote Urine in the sporting goods dept.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store