Quantcast
New Gesshin Hide types coming soon...
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Gesshin Hide types coming soon...

New Gesshin Hide types coming soon...

As soon as i can put these up on the website, they are ready to go (finding time, on the other hand, has been tough lately)
    Gesshin Hide 300mm Blue #1 Sakimaru Takobiki and 270mm Blue #1 Kiritsuke

This kiritsuke has a profile similar to gyuto, its nice.

Very interested in the Kiritsuke, when do you think they will be available?

i've got them in now... just trying to create a page for them as soon as i get a bit more caught up on e-mails and sharpening stuff.

also, i've had a lot of questions about the kiritsuke, so i figured i'd post here... this is a real kiritsuke, not a kiritsuke-shaped wa-gyuto. Its a single bevel knife that is a combination of yanagiba and usuba. The function of those two knives combined will be what this knife is for. It is not going to be functional as a gyuto or general purpose chefs knife in western kitchens.

I must have one of these! Which knife would you recommend to a new sushi maker?
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

i often recommend our gesshin uraku series to beginners in single bevel knives... yanagiba, deba, and usuba.

I want to get either a kiritsuke or a sakimaru for my fish slicer when I start making sushi. I have a 210 takeda Yanagiba and a 270 kanemasa suji now. I only have one cheap Yanagiba as far as single bevels go but I really want something cool and different than everyone else will be using when I start.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

i would definitely not recommend that... especially not the kiritsuke. But neither is particularly beginner friendly when it comes to learning how to properly use. I think sometimes people are too concerned with what looks cool and not with what is going to be the best fit. The shape of sakimaru takobiki is not going to be as conducive to your learning as a traditional yanagiba shape. If you want a cool one, look at a ken-saki yanagiba. But even then, because of the way it is sharpened, it shrinks differently over time, and is not always the right choice. Likewise, kiritsuke is a tough knife to learn to use properly. Based on what i see often, buying it in the beginning leads to the development of many bad habits.

What makes the sakimaru so different from the Yanagiba? Or the takobiki from the Yanagiba? I see takobikis used so often in sushi places I can't see the sakimaru being much different. I would understand the kiritsuke being off because of its height and purpose of being an all around knife but I don't understand the differences in technique when it comes to Yanagiba takobiki and sakimaru

+ Reply to Thread