Japanese Knives New Series- Gesshin Kagekiyo (maybe the most badass thing yet)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
From the video description and the product link:

In this video, we introduce our new Gesshin Kagekiyo series. This is something we have been working on for a few months now, together with one of our partners in Japan. Sara and I are very excited to finally be able to introduce it. These knives represent some of the highest level of craftsmanship and quality we have seen. The blacksmiths, sharpeners, and even lacquer-ware craftsmen are all amazingly skilled, as can clearly be seen by simply looking at them. In fact, all of the craftsmen are certified craftsmen or dentou-kougeishi (a very prestigious honor). These knives have amazing fit and finish, spectacular grinds, some of the most beautiful handles and sayas we've seen on Japanese knives, and amazing geometry. They are really thin behind the edge, have great distal taper, and wide bevels, making them easier to thin and sharpen. The lacquer craftsmen uses real lacquer on these, not synthetic lacquer as more commonly used. Even the boxes are beautiful lacquer-ware. We currently have both blue #1 (carbon) and ginsanko (stainless) options available. We hope you guys are as excited as we are.

You can find these knives here on our website:
http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/gesshin-kagekiyo.html

Thank you so much for watching. If you have any questions, please dont hesitate to contact us at [email protected] or check out our website www.JapaneseKnifeImports.com

Thanks.

-Jon and Sara

[video=youtube_share;mYYl6mbwQ9U]http://youtu.be/mYYl6mbwQ9U[/video]

I love Kagekiyo gyuto's geometry, do we have option for Red Lacquer Octagon Handle in near future ??

Gorgeous. I find myself surprised to realize that I'm liking the kiritsuke-tipped version as much as the standard gyuto.

Not at this time... I looked at a number of options before deciding on these. There are many reasons I had for going about this the way I did, but I think the blue 1 and ginsanko will be great for our customers.

Does a kiritsuke gyuto function well as a tall sujihiki just as a real kiritsuke is shaped half way from a yanagi?

Does a kiritsuke gyuto function well as a tall sujihiki just as a real kiritsuke is shaped half way from a yanagi?

no... in this case, the blade height is roughly the same as a regular gyuto. Also, kiritsuke is not normally less tall than an usuba for what its worth. The main differences that allow it to function well as a yanagiba are the length and subtle curve.

If you wanted a style of knife that would slice roasts very cleanly, cut ingredients with crusts well and occasionally chop cooked meat (duck leg, whatever) what shape would you look to? Eastern or Western, no matter.

I know this is off topic. Sorry.

WOW!!.....I have not thouhgt about buying a knife in a long time....

DAMN IT JON!!!!
Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

I really might have to look into that feature that makes posts by certain users invisible...

Any chance on getting a bigger petty in the future? maybe a 175 wa petty? 185? somewhere in that range?

not sure about how we want to expand this line yet... we'll see. Already sold out of one type already (and we started off with decent inventory).

These look amazing, Jon. Nice work.

Quick question just out of curiosity...Is there any particular reason that a lot of semi-stainless/stainless clad knives come with the type of finish you see on the ginsanko ones in this series? I'm thinking of Yoshikane, Gengetsu, Tanaka, Gesshin Hide, etc. Why are these knives not finished with a "regular" kasumi like in Heiji's semi-stainless or like most carbon knives (not that the current finish looks bad, they're obviously beautiful knives)?

what exactly do you mean? that they are extra shiny?

I think heirkby is asking why Ginsanko knives tend to be cladded knives rather than monosteel like the Inox Honyaki series, which is a pretty good question. I'm assuming that even though Ginsanko isn't as hard as carbon steel, it's still pretty damn hard so that it's easier to shape and make by cladding it between softer steels...

I think heirkby is asking why Ginsanko knives tend to be cladded knives rather than monosteel like the Inox Honyaki series

I don't know what he's asking, but I doubt it's that. The "Inox Honyaki" knives, if you mean Suisin, ain't Honyakis.

I think heirkby is asking why Ginsanko knives tend to be cladded knives rather than monosteel like the Inox Honyaki series, which is a pretty good question. I'm assuming that even though Ginsanko isn't as hard as carbon steel, it's still pretty damn hard so that it's easier to shape and make by cladding it between softer steels...

Thats not always the case at all... clad knives allow for different HT to be done. It also depends on the regions. There are some regions where you see solid ginsanko. But in this case, we thought the clad knife was the smarter way to go for the properties of the knife, steel, sharpening, etc.

Its not about ease of making and shaping. Its about what makes sense based on the kind of performance we want out of it (including ease of sharpening).

Latest posts

Back