Cooking Stuff

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookinstuff

Reaction score
Let's see if I can get this to work, not very technically advanced. DSC03843.jpg

Nice, it worked, ok will post more pictures soon as I take some more of my knives. This is my Mizuno Tanrenjo Blue 2 Honyaki, excellent cutter one of my favourites, more to come.

Awesome!, finally posting pics of your stuff, I wanna see some new badass knives!

Can't really capture the spine on the gyuto, the damascus patterning is pretty ridiculous, Hoss is the man!

Time for the Carter Brothers, Murray, Murray, and Murray, they get along fine though. Unless there are vegetables around.
Blue Super Funayuki with Ironwood Copper and Mammoth Tooth handle by Mike Henry
White Nakiri with Redwood Copper and Satinwood by Stephan Keller
Whatever his Kuro Ichi Funayuki is with Bocote and thick blade liners by Murray

Thanks I enjoy the DT's alot, could probably do most you need to do with just the two knives. But, why would you want to do that to yourself, right?

I have to say, it's thanks to alot of the great members on this forum that I have acquired some of these great knives. I got the DT petty from Antbanks, thanks Anthony I think it's found a good home as a pair. Also, I got the Nakiri from Stephan, and Dave Martell put the beautiful handle on, pics don't do the figure in these justice. Also Mike Henry converted my funny little 150$ Murray Carter knife into a thing of beauty, I must thank him for that, the ironwood yet again can't be photo'd it's got so much movement and colour change, and the mammoth is pretty darn sexy too.

fowler 005.jpgfowler 006.jpgStephan Fowler 52100 210 Petty, did I mention this knife came with one of the sexiest smoothest cocobolo large wa handle I have used. She could probably use some love.

Mario Ingoglia Gyutohiki in Delbert Ealy 01/L6 Damascus I believe it was.
Handle is Afzelia Xylay and Bog Oak, slim. Real nice slicer, she does the business on the line.

DSC03892.jpgDSC03897.jpgDSC03900.jpgDSC03901.jpgDSC03902.jpg

Can't really capture the patina, it is a very nice blue over the black'ish blade. Only really showed up a little, but it covers the whole blade.

DSC03898.jpg

Holy $hitballs, that Mario. How's the L6? I've been curious about it for awhile.

Time to post some more knife pics, got a day off, will get some more stuff up soon. About the 01/L6, knife is great, takes a nice refined edge, have been finishing it at 8k. Seems to be nice for a line slicer, has no problems with duck breasts or crispy chicken skin, it's super thin so it likes to glide right through items. It is definitely better as a protein slicer than an all around prep knife, although it can do double duty, it definitely likes proteins over veg.

It glides through root veg though, squash, sweet potato, rutabaga and celeriac are very easy with this thin guy, also lateral cuts on onions are easy, although pull chopping onions has an odd feel. Then you switch to push cutting onions, and realize this just isn't the knife for onions, it will do it, because you need some onions and this is on your board, but it's not the best.

I really really like the slim handle for slicing, maybe that's why it doesn't feel like the best veg prep knife, like I said, you can do it all with this knife. I really like the edge the knife gets, but it doesn't last incredibly long, and doesn't respond well to a ceramic. I can't wait to get my strop from Marko because I believe with this knife, and the felt strop will be a godsend for this knife. I personally work way too many hours on the line a week to be sharpening that much, and I have slicers that respond well to my ceramic between sharpenings and I must say, they take over after this guy has lost it's fullness, until it's sharpened again, then it's my #1.

So I would say the steel is a nice steel, that takes a good edge but loses it, I would consider quickly. Others may have different experience using 01/L6 dammy and this is just my personal experience, like I said I am really dying to get my strop from Marko because I believe it will really bring this knife to the top of the pile. In comparison my Fowler pictured earlier in 52100 doesn't get nearly as sharp, but is almost always workably sharp (ya I know some guys just can't do this). It responds to a bite with a few passes on a rod, I sharpen it maybe once a month when its just dead from the rod. So I alternate between the two on the line between sharpenings, does the job, if I have a busy night I will get the Mario sharpened up, or for the weekend.

In summary, I highly suggest contacting Mario, and if you like he has the exact shape of this knife sitting around somewhere. It's 244mm on the edge, 40mm tall at the spine, and has a great little relieved choil area that your middle finger rests in like no other knife I have. Super cool knife.

A few of my fellow Canadian's. The filet is my favourite and gets a ton of work, the handle was looking a little dull so I oiled it up as you can see, and it pops like crazy. Pierre is the man, his westerns feel great in your hand, I don't have one of his wa's but they look nice and clean, sorta remind me of Devin's. I have more from Pierre in the future, but he is a busy man. Pierre did the leather on the filet and it's great, I managed to fit a konosuke saya on the gyuto and think it looks damn fine after a sanding and staining.

Sheepsfoot is CPM 154 with maple burl
Filet is CPM 154 with Koa
Gyuto is 1084 and 145N20 with Tri Colour Mokume and Koa

Apierre3some 001.jpgApierre3some 003.jpgApierre3some 005.jpgApierre3some 006.jpgApierre3some 007.jpg

Back