Quantcast
Your Family Meals - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Family Meals

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTheButcher View Post
    I made Guatamalan chicken and rice soup today. The servers wheren't to happy about eating soup in 95 degree weather but screw em. Me and the latinos liked it.

Our trough usually varies pretty heavily, especially depending on the general mood of the line. Hell- one ridiculously busy night, the GM went to McDonald's and bought about $100 worth of burgers, fries, and nuggets. We try to have a good time I guess.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

i'm surprised with all the knives we have that we don't talk enough about the food we cook and grow.

Not. This. Again..
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Denzel View Post
    Its a nice thread about family meal. I am a vegetarian so my whole family like to eat vegetables. I think vegetables are best and natural food for health. I will share some pictures of my family meal soon.
    Family meal is another term for staff meal in a restaurant. I'm not going to bite on the vegetarian thing.

It varies. at one place we cooked whatever was available and everyone pitched in. I was usually the organizer of the staff meal, that way I knew it was going to get done, and it would be decent. when I staged at Alinea they had a recipe book and it all rotated through a 3 month system I think I was told, the morning crew was responsible for cooking and ordering for each days meal. it was very regimented so they had variety and the proper amount of food and didn't run out

Quote Originally Posted by hambone.johnson View Post
    It varies. at one place we cooked whatever was available and everyone pitched in. I was usually the organizer of the staff meal, that way I knew it was going to get done, and it would be decent. when I staged at Alinea they had a recipe book and it all rotated through a 3 month system I think I was told, the morning crew was responsible for cooking and ordering for each days meal. it was very regimented so they had variety and the proper amount of food and didn't run out
    Three months of family planned out. That's pretty awesome.

My family knows my favorite saying about all vegetable dishes (although sometimes in jest) "It's pretty good. just one thing... AINT GOT NO MEAT!" I hung out with a bunch off vegetarians in college who mocked my eating habits. At Saturdays family communal vegetarian dinner, I would wait til everybody was situated before calmly unwrapping my butcher paper , leaning over and putting a large raw chunk of beef in my mouth. They would freak! I would just growl at them and flare my nostrils. Got called all sorts of names that fit. Later on, there was nothing like the feeling of busting a self proclaimed vegetarian eating some of my home made bratwurst and bockwurst. Those were the days!

We don't do a family meal here. It's scraps for the kitchen staff, lol. Heels of bread, beef scraps cooked how ever we have time for and we do it for ourselves. We do a "family shot" of bourbon to jäger after Friday and Saturday dinner service though, lol.

I have worked at places that do a staff meal, but we still never had time to eat it hot, or at all, so it fell to te wayside. I've always preferred smaller places with a small kitchen staff, so maybe that why we pass on it. To be honest, I'd rather take that time sitting in the alley with a smoke and scarf down a peice of bread and butter than actually sit and have a meal. When I eat to much when its busy, I loose my steam and its harder to get in the groove again.

hold on hold on. did we all just skip over the stage at alinea?
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    My family knows my favorite saying about all vegetable dishes (although sometimes in jest) "It's pretty good. just one thing... AINT GOT NO MEAT!" I hung out with a bunch off vegetarians in college who mocked my eating habits. At Saturdays family communal vegetarian dinner, I would wait til everybody was situated before calmly unwrapping my butcher paper , leaning over and putting a large raw chunk of beef in my mouth. They would freak! I would just growl at them and flare my nostrils. Got called all sorts of names that fit. Later on, there was nothing like the feeling of busting a self proclaimed vegetarian eating some of my home made bratwurst and bockwurst. Those were the days!
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller