Quantcast
4-6k stone recommendation - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4-6k stone recommendation

i'd totally ignore this class of stones. Shapton Pro 320 -> Chosera 1k -> Gesshin 8k -> Strop is the way to go, with synthetics. I've tried a lot of stones, and this combo is by far the best I've used.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    i'd totally ignore this class of stones. Shapton Pro 320 -> Chosera 1k -> Gesshin 8k -> Strop is the way to go, with synthetics. I've tried a lot of stones, and this combo is by far the best I've used.
    Tried Maxim's 800 yet? It might make you rethink the Chosera 1k. Mine only comes out when I'm doing chisels now.

Quote Originally Posted by wsfarrell View Post
    Tried Maxim's 800 yet? It might make you rethink the Chosera 1k. Mine only comes out when I'm doing chisels now.

no, i haven't. even if the JKS 800 is way better than the 1k Chosera, it doesn't change my point.

I have gone back to the Suehiro Rika now that I am going for the classic 'toothy' edge.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    I have gone back to the Suehiro Rika now that I am going for the classic 'toothy' edge.
    my experience suggests that where you end has little do with the stone, and much to do with the steel.

I love my rika, but it doesn't really fit the bill of the OP requesting something like a mirror finish. I agree with Chris that the naniwa SS 5k would be a good choice for a shiny bevel whereas the Rika's finish is much more hazy matte.

Is this primarily for single or double bevel?
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Double bevel

I'm using the JNS 6k. At first I didn't know what to think, since it was quite the transition from the Rika. But the more I used it the more I came to love it.
    Quite hard, leaves a nice polished edge. I think it will suit you perfectly.