4-6k stone recommendation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SyndicateNova

Reaction score
Hi everyone, what do you all recommend for a 4-6k stone? Something relatively hard that cuts fast and gives a nice mirror finish?

Dave Martell's JKS 4K. Splash and go, reasonably fast cutter, smoother feel than the Rika. Or, a Gesshin 4K from Jon Broida at JKI, but it's over twice the price.

Rick

Gesshin 5k is splash and go and gives a very nice finish...is not cost prohibitive either.

Chosera 5K is my favorite 5K. But for the best bang for the buck, it's the Suehiro Rika.

Sigma Power Ceramic is a brand with a good cutting power for all steels incl alloys, excellent price, great life, and supple awesome feel. silky death for steel. Comes w a wood base too if you prefer! Sigma Power 6k My natural stone from japan woodworker is probably faster-cutting but dishes more quickly and 3x the price.. but it's an awase-to grade 5

i'd totally ignore this class of stones. Shapton Pro 320 -> Chosera 1k -> Gesshin 8k -> Strop is the way to go, with synthetics. I've tried a lot of stones, and this combo is by far the best I've used.

i'd totally ignore this class of stones. Shapton Pro 320 -> Chosera 1k -> Gesshin 8k -> Strop is the way to go, with synthetics. I've tried a lot of stones, and this combo is by far the best I've used.

Tried Maxim's 800 yet? It might make you rethink the Chosera 1k. Mine only comes out when I'm doing chisels now.

Tried Maxim's 800 yet? It might make you rethink the Chosera 1k. Mine only comes out when I'm doing chisels now.

no, i haven't. even if the JKS 800 is way better than the 1k Chosera, it doesn't change my point.

I have gone back to the Suehiro Rika now that I am going for the classic 'toothy' edge.

I have gone back to the Suehiro Rika now that I am going for the classic 'toothy' edge.

my experience suggests that where you end has little do with the stone, and much to do with the steel.

I love my rika, but it doesn't really fit the bill of the OP requesting something like a mirror finish. I agree with Chris that the naniwa SS 5k would be a good choice for a shiny bevel whereas the Rika's finish is much more hazy matte.

I'm using the JNS 6k. At first I didn't know what to think, since it was quite the transition from the Rika. But the more I used it the more I came to love it.
Quite hard, leaves a nice polished edge. I think it will suit you perfectly.

Back