Prepping a knife for a forced patina

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am about to force a patina on my kasumi shig and of course am nervous :- ), but the darkhorse video inspired me.

http://***********************/2011/01/forcing-patina-on-shigefusa-240-kasumi.html

I was thinking about how to prep the surface and it occurred tome that a "magic eraser" might be ideal as the final cleanup touch before the act.

And I was wondering what people thought about magic eraser to clean knives here...?

So apparently the link got censored or something so I don't know what you are talking about, but I normally just start forcing the patina with no prep at all. Sometimes there is a lacquer on the blade that needs to be removed and 0000 steel wool does the trick.

So I guess I am wondering what do you need to prep?

Everything I read said if there are any oil residues (even from fingerprints) or dirt the process doesn't go as well as one likes.

I wonder why they censored a link to an amateur blog - apologies if I broke some rule...

Everything I read said if there are any oil residues (even from fingerprints) or dirt the process doesn't go as well as one likes.

I wonder why they censored a link to an amateur blog - apologies if I broke some rule...

Cleaning with acetone will probably do the trick if there aren't any scratches you want to remove first.

Whether you use a magic eraser or 0000 steel wool, I recommend acetone on a clean cloth as the final step to ensure that there are no oils on the surface.

Rick

Ah yes, forgot about this. Acetone works great for this task.

Back