What vacuum tubes do you have in your life?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdipisReks

Founding Member
Reaction score
a pair of 6021W in my CD player, and a Sylvania 6SN7w and a pair of black plate RCA 6AS7G in my headphone amp (everything else is solid state, between speakers and headphones).

None operational. I have a few from a period console radio that i swiped when i was a kid....good memories though. I bet a bunch of folks list amps though :)

yeah, Philco sounds rad! pics!

here is a pic of the headphone amp.

the cd player (which is on the speaker rig) has internal tubes, so no real pics of the tubes...

Those attachments ain't working? W T F? I thought the pic loader was sposed to work the same with iPhones? Maybe my 5 is just a jerk?

Edit: I can view them from safari on my 5...

6550 in my audio research integrated, el34 in my Conrad Johnson amp, el84s in my fender guitar amp. Those are the power tubes.

I know there's at least one other amp builder around here, these are the two I have at the moment, several other builds all sold (Hiwatt DR103 clone, plexi, 18w).

Fender Twin 5E8A clone I built:
twin16.jpg

Marshall JTM45 clone I built:
2012jtm451.jpg

Bottlehead Crack with beyerdynamic DT 880 :)
"the picture is from google"

0f830cd7_6423773631_0da0f74176_z.jpeg

4 Mullard Type EL-34, 2 12AX7EH, 2 12UX7EH (original equipment) in my Caying A-50t integrated amp, and a pair of 12AX7 tubes (original equipment) in my Jolida Tube DAC II.

None operational. I have a few from a period console radio that i swiped when i was a kid....good memories though. I bet a bunch of folks list amps though :)

6C33C-B, 6H30, 6V6GT + others
not thought of toobs until this thread :cool2:

long time ago i used to have a melos sha-1 headphone amp and ran sylvania 6922 and amperex white label pq. now it's naim headline, no more tubes. i guess it's like going from carbon to stainless, haha. except the naim is very carbon-like. where as with knives i did the opposite, go from stainless to carbon. i have seen the light!

just like i used to think listening to vinyl was stupid because of the inconvenience of it all, now it's all i listen to when i want to actually sit there and enjoy an album instead of streaming internet radio (slacker) which i must admit is pretty awesome in itself for its purpose (background music).

long time ago i used to have a melos sha-1 headphone amp and ran sylvania 6922 and amperex white label pq. now it's naim headline, no more tubes. i guess it's like going from carbon to stainless, haha. except the naim is very carbon-like.

holy ****! I used to have a pair of Grado HP-2, and the SHA-1 was high up on the amp I wanted to try with them, since it was made for those phones. Never got it.

i preferred the RS-1, i have since stopped using headphones except on the rare occasion which i only have akg k-271 now. you might wonder why i have the naim headphone amp, i use it as a preamp into active studio monitors, killer setup and doesn't take up a ton of space like a full hi-fi system does.

Nice work, brianh!

The biggest, most expensive tube I've ever seen was in the amplifier of a vibration test system at Lewis Research Center in Cleveland (now the Glenn Research Center). You basically had an amplifier and gigantic speaker with a metal cone--you could bolt test articles on it and shake the dickens out of them--that tube was probably the length of my forearm. BIG, BIG, tube. They had to have the tubes custom made by hand when they died, to the tune of about $15K ea.

These days it's hubby involved with tubes. The last couple weeks he's been drooling over Fender tube amps on the 'bay.

Nice work, brianh!

The biggest, most expensive tube I've ever seen was in the amplifier of a vibration test system at Lewis Research Center in Cleveland (now the Glenn Research Center). You basically had an amplifier and gigantic speaker with a metal cone--you could bolt test articles on it and shake the dickens out of them--that tube was probably the length of my forearm. BIG, BIG, tube. They had to have the tubes custom made by hand when they died, to the tune of about $15K ea.

These days it's hubby involved with tubes. The last couple weeks he's been drooling over Fender tube amps on the 'bay.

Thank you! Silverface Fenders are not too $$$ these days. Or, build his own!

I used to have a Quad 22/II amplifier that I inherited from my dad, the power amps use the classic KT66 tubes.
Quad%2BII.jpg
but the maintenance was a bit daunting so I entered the 'dark side' recently and got a Naim Nait 5si - not as charming but hassle free:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back