• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Marko Shigefusa sujihiki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Neal

Reaction score
Up next is a Shigefusa 270mm sujihiki with beautiful wood by Marko Tsourkan. Desert ironwood and silver handle, with a maple saya which is also very thin. This is my only Shig, so it is probably redundant to say is thin and sharp and cuts beautifully, though I only used it once. Paid $824 to Marko, selling for $750 shipped CONUS.

I just found this info from Marko about the blade:

"It's Swedish steel Shigefusa calls 'spicy', most likely because the steel has some alloys that help with grain refinement. In characteristics, it is similar to White steel and should take a keen edge and sharpen easily.

"It's a kasumi construction - core steel clad with old stock wrought iron, folded a number of times to remove impurities. The cladding exhibits a damascus-like pattern.

"Shigefusa knives are water quenched and a final hardness is typically 63-63.5, in other words hard enough to scratch soda lime glass."

Very nice. The buyer will be lucky to have this knife, especially since Marko is no longer rehandling knives.

There will never be another one like it. Dont know what the same knife with stock handle would cost now, but its probably the same or more.

If I didn't snatch up that Rader from you yesterday I would buy this in a heart beat.

I expected this one to go in ten minutes. It's a good thing I don't have to make a living in retail sales.

OK, guys. $700 is the best I can do.

Back