Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Yusuke Sakai--Extra Thick, Extra hard 240 Gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    The view from the choil only gives you a glimpse at the grind and does not tell the whole story. Most japanese knives are symmetric. And the differences between a convexed right side and a slight convexed or mostly flat then convexed left side can be pretty small to the naked eye, but not in use.
    True Johnny I usually read the choil can tell even slight difference.Most all Japan Gyuto are Assem.That said I have the Yusuke special thin white steel it is the most even on both sides of any high end Gyuto I have seen.Maybe because it is so thin.I can see Mucho's point of view if any of his are like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    Counterfeit!?
    Naw, probably just ignorance.
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Johnny, So I scrutinised my Yusukes further and your're absolutely correct, I see the difference from right to left blade face. Eventhough they're really thin knives, 240 1.6 spine at handle, I can see that the right side of the knife is thicker than the left side (edge facing down).
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Johnny, So I scrutinised my Yusukes further and your're absolutely correct, I see the difference from right to left blade face. Eventhough they're really thin knives, 240 1.6 spine at handle, I can see that the right side of the knife is thicker than the left side (edge facing down).
    The easiest way to judge is to stick a ruler right against the blade face. On the left side, the blade will stick flush with the ruler. On the right side, the blade convexity will curve away from the ruler. This is very difficult to tell with the naked eye when the blade is thin.