Quantcast
First Look Masamoto AEB-L Wa-Gyuto 240mm - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Look Masamoto AEB-L Wa-Gyuto 240mm

Can't seem to find them on their site. Maybe I'm too late?

Yeah Mark, I just looked Too, no such luck. I will keep an eye out for the next round. I DO love some AEB-L and I have ALWAYS wanted a Masamaoto.

I think they only got them very recently, have never been listed iirc.

go to the korin subforum here at KKF if youre interested. PM Mari.

I worked with Wendy Yang at Korin. If you call she will be able to help you out since they aren't on the website.

I have so far just cut up a bell pepper really quick with the knife but I liked it. Once I have more time to play with it and give it a sharpening I will make an update with my impressions.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDispossessed View Post
    i think it's deliberate and it's how masamoto sharpens their knives. my vg petty came like that. probably a little helpful considering ootb tips are usually on the thick side.
    Cool, the only other Masamoto I have is the honyaki gyuto and I couldn't remember if it was like that too.

Good looking knife.

It's identical to a KS. If you have a KS, the geometry is the same. The only visual difference, other than the lack of patina with use, is that it is stamped with an 'S' on the left hand side of the blade at the tang in front of the handle. It's obviously asymmetric. One side of the blade is completely flat. The other is convex ground.

Quote Originally Posted by bkdc View Post
    It's identical to a KS. If you have a KS, the geometry is the same. The only visual difference, other than the lack of patina with use, is that it is stamped with an 'S' on the left hand side of the blade at the tang in front of the handle. It's obviously asymmetric. One side of the blade is completely flat. The other is convex ground.
    The KS I have (bought used, but not thinned along the faces of the blade) appears to be very slightly convex ground on the right side (looking down the spine to the tip). I would not go so far as to say that my KS is clearly asymmetrically ground, it's closer to flat (which the previous owner noted as well).

Members have previously commented that there is a significant amount of variation between KS knives. Perhaps the grind is one of the things that there is a lot of variation with.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    I would not go so far as to say that my KS is clearly asymmetrically ground, it's closer to flat (which the previous owner noted as well).
    It's the same answer I give to everyone. Take a ruler. Hold it up against one side of the blade. It will sit FLUSH against the ruler indicating that the blade face is flat. Then put the ruler against the other side of the blade and observe how the convexity curves away from the straight ruler edge. This is an obvious asymmetric grind. Only the eye is fooled due to the thinness of the blade. But the ruler will reveal the asymmetry.