Quantcast
Time to make a knife?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to make a knife?

Time to make a knife?

I wonder how long time it takes to make a knife?

The reason Im asking is that Im planning my next purchase and came across this yanagiba (that I want bad...)
    http://www.sushitrainer.com/japanese...nenohimaru.php

And here I found:
    The reason it takes 180 days for blades, is because at least 120 days are required to let the steel sit and stabilize aging.

So bladesmiths of the forum: How long does it take to make a knife? Should it at least be in your hands at least 120 days?

Inputs please.... How long do you wait to deliver to customer? Or is this just ******** from NENOHIMARU ????

It seems to be an urban legend that steel somehow has changing properties after it sits a bit. I've read that some Japanese chefs use two sets of knives and allow one set to sit for a day or so after sharpening...

If I wanted a straight answer about steel the first place I'd turn is Larrin/Devin Thomas.
    - Sean

Whether the resting period that Nenohi says is required is BS or not I can't comment on.

As a complete newbie doing stock removal knife making, I'll provide my input:

30 minutes to cut out and shape a blade blank
    Don't have a heat treat oven, but I've heard it takes a couple of hours
    3 hours to grind a blade to shape
    1 hour to drill, shape, and peen the bolsters in place
    30 minutes to cut out the scales and drill the necessary holes
    30 minutes to mix the epoxy and put the scales onto the knife.
    1 hour to shape the handle once the epoxy is dry
    2 hours to damn near infinity to finish everything off. I swear I have to force myself to send out knives once they're done as I keep finding little things I want to tweak, resand, etc.

So...10 or so hours including time to heat treat. It's obviously not done in one day though.

Quote Originally Posted by watercrawl View Post
    It's obviously not done in one day though.
    Unless you're Hoss, and you decide you want to make an edged implement to use that evening. I think he might have super powers...
    - Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Potato42 View Post
    It seems to be an urban legend that steel somehow has changing properties after it sits a bit. I've read that some Japanese chefs use two sets of knives and allow one set to sit for a day or so after sharpening...

If I wanted a straight answer about steel the first place I'd turn is Larrin/Devin Thomas.
    I don't think it is BS. I had this conversation with Devin about this when I was at his shop. Complete austenite to martensite transformation can take a long time, but this can be sped up with Cryo treating the blade. Since Japanese makers are very traditional, they don't use cryo treatment and need to wait a long period of time for the steel to settle.

Edit:

I think this is the reason Bill Burk sticks his blades overnight in the freezer between quenches.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Yeah urban legend was probably the wrong choice of words. I don't know why you'd need to let blades sit after sharpening though.
    - Sean

Yeah urban legend was probably the wrong choice of words. I don't know why you'd need to let blades sit after sharpening though.
    As an excuse to significant others why one need knives of the same size or type. "Baby, OF COURSE I need two 270mm gyutos! If I sharpen this one today, I cant use it until the day after tomorrow!"
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I didnt know Burke put the knives in the freezer. Ill ask him why

I was hoping some of our smiths answered this too

No reason after sharpening, but plenty of reasons after heat treat.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

It is about transforming the retained austenite into martensite.

Time, subzero quenching, and artificial aging are all used to make the transformation. Austenite is a smaller phase then martensite. If the blade is straight and has retained austenite that then transforms to fresh martensite the blade will move or become crooked.

Thanks Sean for the compliment. I'm probably faster than most. It's only taken me 33 years.

Hoss

+ Reply to Thread