Quantcast
Can You Sharpen at Work? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can You Sharpen at Work?

Depends on prep for the day. Most of the time no. If I know I'll have time I'll bring my kit in but it's easier to sharpen at home. I usually don't need a knife for much of service but if I do it either is what it is after prep or I always have a backup.

Setup is a wet towel, a 3k or 5k, and a cork.

whoa, i'm hogging this thread, sorry but i keep thinking of things.
    from what i understand, traditional japanese kitchens have a much better system for this. the young cooks wash dishes and sharpen everyone's knives for a while before they move up (or so i'm told).

Quote Originally Posted by TheDispossessed View Post
    it drives me absolutely nuts to have seen young cooks claim 'they have no time' to sharpen their knives (because they never do it, so it takes them friggin ten minutes) and then continually slam their blade on a honing rod every two minutes during prep.
    thankfully, i don't have to witness this abuse anymore..
    I don't understand this. I haven't had a day off for 4 weeks so the little free time I have is spent doing a variety of things other than sharpening. I use a honing rod and it prolongs my edges a bit, I know it's not ideal but it's still a pretty good stopgap measure until I actually get out my stones and sharpen my knives again, what's the issue?

But to answer the question, no I don't sharpen my knives in work. I might actually stay behind and do it some time though, I don't have a lot of space in my house

yep, the last 2 kitchens ive worked in are very positive to sharpening on shift. At Tru we could sharpen before butchering and then the protein station cooks would touch up slicers during set up, most guys have a splash and go stone tucked away somewhere, a Shapton glass stone was common to get you through the day. At the hotel I work at now the chefs will do touch up before butchering or when needed and most of my staff will use a red brick or something in the 1k/4k combo stone style and set up just before or just after shift. Now, as a manager, I feel that if your responsible enough to take care of your tools and it doesn't interrupt your work, I wont stop you from doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by greasedbullet View Post
    You could make it part of the job. Couldn't you? I would be ok with getting paid to sharpen my kit at work.
    It's a family run restaurant. I still have people I need to answer to. Also the sad thing is I think most people don't even want to learn.

Yes i sometimes sharpen at work, usually others people knives. but i keep the gesshin 2k at work in a bucket and i keep a strop there loaded with .5 micron diamond.

i just use a 1/4 or 1/3 pan turn upside down and put a wet down on there to keep stone from slipping. works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    You don't have as much time as you like, but you still have an hour a day to sharpen? I don't get why its taking so long, how many knives are you sharpening each day?
    I'll usually grab quite a few of the guys knives to sharpen at home as well as my own. I tend to take my time when I'm at home. I find it relaxing. I'd say 10-20 a night. I meant time at work before service. I think more people have time to sharpen their knives then they claim. Too many people don't have time to do basic maintenance yet go to the bar every night.
    Last edited by ChuckTheButcher; 07-24-2013 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Hit send early

I am able to sharpen my knives during service hours when business is slow, which does not happen over at the place I'm working lol. I usually turn up 2hrs earlier or go home later.

Yes i do when it is slow, we got 1 stone at work for every one to use.

i wish i had pictures of the stones at my old place. some really crazy ass shapes