Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can You Sharpen at Work?

Can You Sharpen at Work?

This is a question for the pros here on the board; can you sharpen your knives at work, and if so what's your set up like? Just curious

I can If I've got the free time to do it. What usually ends up happening is I do one of my knives if it needs it and 5 or 6 of my co-workers. I usually keep a few stones in the truck for emergency purposes. The naniwa akamon big red brick, because I like it, and I can put a damp towel over it and use it as a stand for the other stones, gesshin 400, and king 6k, natural blue aoto, and I usually keep my little-ish nakayama karasu in my knife bag along with a small piece of the felt you sent me( for de-burring ) for touch-ups even if I don't have any other stones with me at the time. I leave a loaded leather strop in the office as well.
    Don't touch my d!ck. Dont touch my knife. ~ Anthony Bourdain ~

it's expected of me to sharpen at the end of my shift, everyone does it. but i'm in a japanese (kaiseki) kitchen.

oh and i found a shapton 1500 laying around there so i just throw it on my station and go with that

Sometimes I do on Mondays. The bistro is closed, but I go in ad bake while I have the kitchen to myself. Normally its just the house knives though. I like to sharpen my own at home. The setup is normally a 1/3 pan with water and a towel down under the stone.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Yes, if work/ cleaning is caught up. To me, tool maintenance should be an acceptable part of the job.

I usually use the upside-down rectangular metal pan with towels, ala Salty. I also usually just do touch ups at work, with quick splash and go Naniwa SS 3k or 5k....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I haven't at where I stage, but all the cooks do. Introduced them to a diamond flattening plate and now they won't let me have it back.

In my current job, in the middle of split shifts, the rest of kitchen disappear and I have some peace and quiet. Alternatively, after my shift with a pint.

My setup is just a stone on a bench with some towels, the stones I currently have at work are the JNS 800 and a Takashima Awasedo - I paired these two together for the first time last week and was super happy with the results.

I do under the same circumstances as nochop, mostly because he is my boss . When there is nothing else to prep, and everything is clean. I use a naniwa green brick 2-4k and that is it. When I am at home I use the full spread.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

I do when I have the time and space. Which isn't as often as I would like. I also end up sharpening all my cooks knives. They don't even ask me. I just get so fed up with them using such dull knives. I never understood why any one would spend the money on expensive knives and not learn or care to sharpen them. I like what TheDispossessed said about the Japanese kitchens. It should be part of the job. I spend at least an hour a day sharpening.