Quantcast
Can You Sharpen at Work? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Can You Sharpen at Work?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTheButcher View Post
    I like what TheDispossessed said about the Japanese kitchens. It should be part of the job.
    You could make it part of the job. Couldn't you? I would be ok with getting paid to sharpen my kit at work.
    "Sucking at something is the first step to becoming sorta good at something." -Jake the Dog

I don't currently. When I did it was a Salty clone w/ third pan and towels. I would absolutley let the cooks do it if they cared to. Looks like I should by a stone for the restaurant. I usually sharpen employee knives DMT XC to green brick. I wouldn't trust them with that. I should probably get them a king combo. (thought I had a pic of the set up but can't find it)
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

I can't. and I should be able to. Like most of the folks on here, only when we have the time. Overly busy kitchen.

I used to show up before work to sharpen sometimes, or after work. Every once in a while, after a lot of prep, i would sharpen before dinner service (instead of sitting down to family meal). I had a few stones at work, usually a stone holder, and a 1/3 pan to hold the stones and water. I only had a couple of bosses give me crap for sharpening... the rest were happy i was doing it, as were my co-workers.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTheButcher View Post
    I do when I have the time and space. Which isn't as often as I would like. I also end up sharpening all my cooks knives. They don't even ask me. I just get so fed up with them using such dull knives. I never understood why any one would spend the money on expensive knives and not learn or care to sharpen them. I like what TheDispossessed said about the Japanese kitchens. It should be part of the job. I spend at least an hour a day sharpening.
    You don't have as much time as you like, but you still have an hour a day to sharpen? I don't get why its taking so long, how many knives are you sharpening each day?

at the beginning of the thread i was wondering what you guys were using pans for in this occasion. now i realized that you call your gastro norm "pans" over there. i had some weired pictures in my mind until then

i have a couple of stones at work and also end up sharpening my cow orkers knives every time i get em out.

btw. dispossessed. how do you like that shapton pro 1500? i like mine pretty much and its by far my most used stone at work.

I have Tormek 7 at work.

That being said, my knives only at home. From august Im trying to organize sharpening group, two other folks with own stones and me trying to show them how to do it. Every tuesday after work. In Norwegian reality thats actually way too often , unfortunately. Never heard of a place where someone would do that.

But when/if it works, then 1/2 deep hotelpans, damp paper towels and some cooling liquid is all we need.
    Im supplying plasters, diamond plate and strop.

Stones? One has JCK 1/4K combo, the other JNS 3 stone set and me? JNS 1K and binsui, all I ever needed.

I always have my honing kit in my work bag. I pull that out now and then. Occasionally, I'll bring in a couple stones to accompany the hone. No one ever makes noise about it. Mostly they enjoy checking out the results of my honing sessions. There is a (I think) roughly 1K King waterstone in the knife cabinet which some previous @$^%*~ used as an oilstone. BTW, it is possible to reverse the damage by soaking for a week in straight Simple Green and rinsing for twenty minutes or so. Since then, it's been usable as a waterstone. Every once in a very great while when the hone isn't giving the results I need, I'll pull that stone out for an emergency session followed by a finishing session on the hone so I can get through the shift. I think I've had to resort to that twice in the last three years. Generally, if I'm going to hone or do any sharpening, I'll take care of it at the very beginning of a shift or around meal time. I'm pretty conscientious about it. I usually only take care of maintenance when we're finished and prepped for the evening or if there's an urgent need.

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    btw. dispossessed. how do you like that shapton pro 1500? i like mine pretty much and its by far my most used stone at work.
    you know i'm digging it. i have gesshin 400, 2k, 4k at home and love those. purely out of convenience i've used just the shapton 1500 after my shift and it's fairly quick and pleasant to work with, the results are totally acceptable for me on a gyuto and petty.
    the stone seems pretty wear resistant because when i brought in a diamond plate (150x) to true it up, it was surprisingly tough.
    this is the first splash and go i've used, so far, so good.

also, as a side, i used to think it'd be fun (but probably somewhat impractical) to cut a soaking stone or combo stone in half so it could fit in a 9 pan for easier stashing in your mise so it'd be ready to pull out for a quick touch-up anytime.

it drives me absolutely nuts to have seen young cooks claim 'they have no time' to sharpen their knives (because they never do it, so it takes them friggin ten minutes) and then continually slam their blade on a honing rod every two minutes during prep.
    thankfully, i don't have to witness this abuse anymore..