Quantcast
Can You Sharpen at Work? - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Can You Sharpen at Work?

ExPensive and craaaap... Did I mention that they are xpnsv??

I stay at work after my shift once or twice a week and sharpen. On the clock there is almost always something else to do, even thought that happens every once in a while. Almost all the other chefs use a chefs choise machine. Some of them dont even have their own knives with them, which is even more sad than not using stones :/ Im doing my best to convert them though, haha.

i have since changed everything since my last post on this thread. all new stones and began only sharpening at home now. total opposite of what i was doing. i might leave the finishing stone at work for quick touch ups, but i probably won't use it as i like to go as long as possible between sharpening and by that point the knives need a full routine.

I can if there is absolutely nothing else to do. Which is never

Solution : I start one hour earlyer than everybody else to do things like sharpen, drink coffee etc. it's tool maintainence but also a bit of a hobby so where do you draw the line?

Hang on chef I need to check my edge under a microscope just give me a minute

it never fails, every time I go to soak my stones my station gets slamed

Update: No. No time. I keep a backup but my Yoshikane SKD has become my favorite. Lasts forever and even when the the small front belly fails (due to lack of sharpening expertise) the giant flat section is awesome.

The knife and I are still fighting the perfect sharpening routine battle but I'm slowly winning. It's a strange knife but I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckTheButcher View Post
    I'll usually grab quite a few of the guys knives to sharpen at home as well as my own. I tend to take my time when I'm at home. I find it relaxing. I'd say 10-20 a night. I meant time at work before service. I think more people have time to sharpen their knives then they claim. Too many people don't have time to do basic maintenance yet go to the bar every night.
    You are a nice guy Chuck.I used to do my sharpening after my shift wt wet towel under stones.After a while those still on site woud drop their knives off & would end up sharpening as many as 15 knives.Then I just did my knives at home,also find it relaxing.

When I see someone wailing away on a honing steel all night,I'll show you a dude wt. a lack of freehand skills.

going to the bar is a necessity of life, knife maintenance is low on priority list.

+ Reply to Thread