Quantcast
Sharpening Stone Stands
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sharpening Stone Stands

Sharpening Stone Stands

Over the years I've seen some really great examples of DIY stone stands made in Japan by woodworkers. I know that Marko has made at least a couple of these before, anyone else given this a try?

Below are a few examples of stands that I find pretty cool....

A few of them are showing up "No image..." Dave. The ones that I do see are pretty neat though!

These look great. I have been getting into some beginner woodworking and this would be a good project for me. What are you doing to carve out the "recess" for the stone? Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

One good way is to use a drill to hog out the bulk of the waste and then use a chisel to finish. If you have a router that is a noisier way to do it.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    One good way is to use a drill to hog out the bulk of the waste and then use a chisel to finish. If you have a router that is a noisier way to do it.
    That would definitely do it.

I used a radial arm saw (any kind of table/miter saw you can set depth on will work) with a low tooth count blade and just ran the thing across my board repeatedly at 1/4" deep until I had the 8" necessary to fit my DMT plates. You might think it would be time consuming, but it only took about a minute and a half, if that. My holder doesn't fully surround the plate though...it just registers front and back.
    I try to be the man I am..in times of broken lives. Shattered dreams and plans..standing up to fight. Pressures and demands..staring at the knife. Holding in your hands..

+ Reply to Thread