Quantcast
Miyabi FC61 steel. Anyone know what this is? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Miyabi FC61 steel. Anyone know what this is?

The official photos are available on the Sur La Table website, and the blade looks much wider than the original Miyabi Fusion or Morimoto profile. And although it describes 'sand blasted' appearance, it does look like a 3-layer kasumi construction with acid etching.

Is anyone else not seeing these on SLT's site?

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PR...701&origin=pla

The photos are no longer available. They are not yet for sale so it must be some website update.

Photos working for me.
    They actually dont look half bad. I like tall gyutos... Not my 1st choice of tips, but not terrible.

This made me lol a bit though:
    Revolutionary FC61 Steel pairs Fine Carbide distribution with an astonishing 61 Rockwell hardness and has never before been used for kitchen cutlery—despite many attempts
    ...Hazaah!! at long last a fine carbide staibless steel @61RHC.
    Pshhh, 'Henkel please... Where do you think we are? Germany?
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

The pics don't work for me, can you post them?

What's the average RC of your typical German Knife (Wustorf/Henckels)?
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Traditionally, 54-56HRc. Recently, Wüsthof has gone up to 58, and has changed its geometry accordingly. All to be taken with a grain of salt, as always.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    The pics don't work for me, can you post them?
    It's because SLT is using this stupid flash applet to display the pictures where you can't r-click and get a URL and the only way to zoom is to mouse over the image.
    I had to go to the mobile site on my phone to get an actual image address.
    See if this works for ya:

"I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

Profile definitely seems to have more belly than the fusion/morimoto line. More similar to their artisan/kaizen line maybe?
    - Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Amon-Rukh View Post
    Profile definitely seems to have more belly than the fusion/morimoto line. More similar to their artisan/kaizen line maybe?
    It's weird. Cover the last 1/3- 1/4 (from tip back) of blade on the 270 and it looks like the edge profile is actually pretty flat. There edge rises/ is at an upward angle relative to the spine, but there doesn't look to be only a very slight arch. Personally, I like this. The dramatic rise from about 2/3 - 3/4 for the heel is what gives it the impression of a big belly.

I'd actually be curious to try one. Being that I don't see Miyabi signing up as a vendor and doing a passaround anytime soon, I guess I'll end up visiting SLT and wasting some poor salesperson's time.