Quantcast
Foods/Ingredients That Stain Knives Fast
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Foods/Ingredients That Stain Knives Fast

Foods/Ingredients That Stain Knives Fast

I happen to prefer carbon steel knives. But, as with all carbon steel knives, they require some additional care when it comes to cutting certain foods, such as onions, acidic fruits, etc.

I'm generally very diligent about wiping my knives as soon as I use them; I almost always wipe them down immediately after use and/or wash them off immediately after use.

Yesterday, I was cutting a certain vegetable, wiped off my knives and washed them immediately after use. However, I neglected to completely wipe down my board. I left my knife on the board, and within minutes, I had stains on my knife.

The culprit: water spinach aka Ong Choy.

In your experience, what items stain carbon steel knives the fastest?
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

I don't know if it is the fastest but strawberry gives a very nice and dark patina

Quote Originally Posted by eaglerock View Post
    I don't know if it is the fastest but strawberry gives a very nice and dark patina
    I can't think of anything that competes with strawberries, at the moment. Definitely a quick way to get a good black patina.

Onions are ruthless. My White #2 Yusuke turns black in seconds. Good thing I always have some cape cond cloths around

On white #2 or O1 - in this order; onions, Strawberry, my blood (although this last one turns into a very nice patina if used on higher polished finished blade )

My Yoshikane kasumi (SKD12 (okay, it's often classed as "semi-stainless") core, stainless clad) was pretty slow to develop a patina with the usual suspects (onion, pineapple, cooked chicken/beef etc.) although eventually it took a pleasing blue-ish patina. I few weeks ago I cut up an overripe avocado with it and got instant yellow patina over the existing one - assume this was from reaction with oleic acid/ other long-chain aliphatic acids.

Brussels sprouts

I always find that radicchio reacts badly to carbon, both on the food and knife.

For me it seems to depend on the maker. Some white # 2 I have react instantly to certain things, others not.

Pineapple and onions
    -Matt