Miyabi FC61 steel. Anyone know what this is?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkdc

Reaction score
Sur La Table is about to start selling the 'Evolution' line from Miyabi which uses a steel that Zwilling designates as FC61 with a hardness of HRC61. It is a fine grained stainless steel. Does anyone know what this is?

"Revolutionary FC61 Steel pairs Fine Carbide distribution with an astonishing 61 Rockwell hardness and has never before been used for kitchen cutlery—despite many attempts"

The geometry itself appears to have washed down from Morimoto's prior association with Miyabi, and it appears similar to the Morimoto series, which, in my opinion, is excellent geometry.

Henckles/Miyabi like to use their own descriptors for steel. MC66 was confirmed as being Hitachi ZDP-189 for example.

I seriously doubt it's anything "revolutionary".

I'm going to guess that it ends up being a stainless Swedish steel. It looks like the knife will be a monosteel knife.

I'm going with VG-10 or derivative thereof :biggrin:

That would seem most likely.
The MC in MC66 stood for "microcarbide" didn't it? And the 66 was the target HRC.
Sooo, I wonder what FC stands for? But IIRC, most VG-10 Is targeted around HRC61

The only thing is that the Miyabi designation for VG-10 is CMV60. Which suggest that FC61 may be something other than VG-10. FC may stand for 'fine carbide' rather than 'micro carbide'? :)

The MC in MC66 stood for "microcarbide" didn't it? And the 66 was the target HRC.
But IIRC, most VG-10 Is targeted around HRC61

Yes, yes and and yes. I think they will stick with Japanese steel (Even though there was a cheaper Miyabi made with the usual German stuff @58. 600 series?)

i would guess not that, as its not a steel commonly used in the area they produce knives in

honestly i'm not 100% sure what it is, but i know what steel types are commonly used in that area and what kinds of things are available to this kind of knife making process. I've got some suspicions, but no solid knowledge one way or another.

honestly i'm not 100% sure what it is, but i know what steel types are commonly used in that area and what kinds of things are available to this kind of knife making process. I've got some suspicions, but no solid knowledge one way or another.

Q102 is a crappy radio station in Cincinnati, so I doubt it's that. ;)

Taking in consideration that Henckels is multimillion or even billion corporation they pretty much can get any steel in any place of the world. One benefit of having tons of money. But said this, I do not know how things are run in Japan and may be there are some established rules or traditions that prevent this kind of things - then scratch my comment.

Taking in consideration that Henckels is multimillion or even billion corporation they pretty much can get any steel in any place of the world. One benefit of having tons of money. But said this, I do not know how things are run in Japan and may be there are some established rules or traditions that prevent this kind of things - then scratch my comment.
I'm aware of how big they are and also well aware of how things tend to work in that region. As I said before, it's an educated guess.

The official photos are available on the Sur La Table website, and the blade looks much wider than the original Miyabi Fusion or Morimoto profile. And although it describes 'sand blasted' appearance, it does look like a 3-layer kasumi construction with acid etching.

Photos working for me.
They actually dont look half bad. I like tall gyutos... Not my 1st choice of tips, but not terrible.

This made me lol a bit though:
Revolutionary FC61 Steel pairs Fine Carbide distribution with an astonishing 61 Rockwell hardness and has never before been used for kitchen cutlery—despite many attempts

...Hazaah!! at long last a fine carbide staibless steel @61RHC.
Pshhh, 'Henkel please... Where do you think we are? Germany?

What's the average RC of your typical German Knife (Wustorf/Henckels)?

Traditionally, 54-56HRc. Recently, Wüsthof has gone up to 58, and has changed its geometry accordingly. All to be taken with a grain of salt, as always.

The pics don't work for me, can you post them?

It's because SLT is using this stupid flash applet to display the pictures where you can't r-click and get a URL and the only way to zoom is to mouse over the image.
I had to go to the mobile site on my phone to get an actual image address.
See if this works for ya:

main_variation_Default_view_4_426x426.jpg

Profile definitely seems to have more belly than the fusion/morimoto line. More similar to their artisan/kaizen line maybe?

Profile definitely seems to have more belly than the fusion/morimoto line. More similar to their artisan/kaizen line maybe?

It's weird. Cover the last 1/3- 1/4 (from tip back) of blade on the 270 and it looks like the edge profile is actually pretty flat. There edge rises/ is at an upward angle relative to the spine, but there doesn't look to be only a very slight arch. Personally, I like this. The dramatic rise from about 2/3 - 3/4 for the heel is what gives it the impression of a big belly.

I'd actually be curious to try one. Being that I don't see Miyabi signing up as a vendor and doing a passaround anytime soon, I guess I'll end up visiting SLT and wasting some poor salesperson's time.

Back