• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Looking for a Kiritsuke tipped sujihiki or yanagiba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Gibson

Banned
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am planning to try my hand at sushi in a restaurant in september and was hoping to get something that would be a good fit for working. I really love the looks of a kiritsuke or kiritsuke tipped sujihiki and am only interested in something with a wa handle. Preferably carbon over stainless but anything would be taken with a serious amount of thought. I have never worked in a sushi restaurant before and don't necessarily know the ins and outs of it all. I will be starting as a prep cook I'm sure and already have a couple gyutos and a nikiri so I was hoping to get my hands on a really solid wa handled slicer of some sort.

Even if the knife is not kiritsuke tipped and is a good deal I would really appreciate your offers!

I plan to spend somewhere in the 100-200 range, could possibly pull above that but I would like to keep it reasonable.

Thanks for looking and for any offers you can give!

Brad

Hi Brad

Will you be at a traditional "old school" restaurant or a fusion type place? If its traditional style, im willing to bet they won't let apprentices touch any proteins for a while and can recommend getting a single bevel usuba first. Lots of rice and veg prep (and cleaning) before they ever entrust with fish, and learning katsuramuki and ken cuts are fundamental to a sushi chefs arsenal. Also, a Nakiri is sort of looked at as a house knife akin to a square tipped santoku and is not appropriate for rotary cutting

The fusion "new school" places I've worked at are a lot less strict about it, with a gyuto for rolls/veg and a yanagiba (typically 270) as the main go-to tools. If this is the case, a yanagiba (or the sexier kiritsuke tipped yanagi) should serve you well from the get go.

Good luck in your search!

bkdc just listed a 270 suji on b/s/t for $220, might want to check it out.

I will be keeping my eyes open for any offers. Please let me know!

I really want to get something with a kiritsuke tip but am not stuck on it. If anyone has a Suji or Yanagiba they would think about selling or possibly even trading please let me know!

Thanks guys!

I don't think you're going to find a single kiritsuke tipped yanagiba in your price range. This is one of the least expensive that I've ever seen: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sa...652?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item58a13290a4

As for kiritsuke tipped sujihikis, you'll find a few including the Kanemasa that rogue108 posted a link to. While I've never used that knife, I know a few people that have been very happy with that knife.

I have that kanemasa knife mhlee... I do like it but I have given it to my roommate to use and I have been using a takeda 210 petty. I am sure I will be able to get by with just my takeda but I was hoping to see someone offering a great deal on a used knife.

With that being said, If anyone does have a used knife that fits the bill or a great deal on a used slicer please let me know!

I am also very interested in any sakimaru takobiki that is available used or new. thanks!

I have a Kaneshige white 3 sakimaru takobiki with saya , ebony d handle ,used 3 times to cut tuna , but internatinal shipping from OZ won't do either of us any good . Brand new ones are listed for $ 265 on ebay

Still looking! Please let me know any offers on any suji/Yanagiba/kiritsuke

Two sujis sold today in my price range before I could reply!! I'm having terrible luck

Back