Thread: Wa-Oyster knife

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.

Wa-Oyster knife

I was goofing around and made this about 6 months ago.
    I've never worked anywhere that I had to shuck very many oysters, and the last time I went to the emergency room, it was because I stabbed myself in the forearm with a very blunt-tipped oyster knife. My current job requires me to do a lot o' shuckin' and I've become pretty good at it.
    Believe it or not, the wa-handle works surprisingly well!
    [IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]
    "See... the problem here is that... my little brother, this morning, got his arm caught in the microwave, and uh... my grandmother dropped acid and she freaked out, and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins, so it's kind of a family crisis... so come back later? Great."
    -Lane Myer (Definitely not as in Oscar Mayer)

Nice! Me and you may have two of the nicest oyster knives around....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

when i was at jki, jon showed me these japanese oyester knives, totally different and he explained how they open oysters by smashing one side and then going in with the knife. i forget the details..

You guys crack me up I love it custom handles on oyster knives

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Nice! Me and you may have two of the nicest oyster knives around....
    I want one like yours!
    I'm just not willing to shell out(no pun intended) $60-$90 for one. I'll find one someday.
    "See... the problem here is that... my little brother, this morning, got his arm caught in the microwave, and uh... my grandmother dropped acid and she freaked out, and hijacked a school bus full of... penguins, so it's kind of a family crisis... so come back later? Great."

Knerd was that originally a plastic handle? If so, how'd you remove it? I have a Fibrox I'd like to replace......
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Knerd was that originally a plastic handle? If so, how'd you remove it? I have a Fibrox I'd like to replace......
    I will impart ancient Chinese secret to removing crappy POM handles for price of 1 Sab oyster knife!

I've removed a lot of these, and it sucks. From Henckels to Forschners, to Dexter-Sani-Safe. I tried a cutting disc/tool on my Dremel, but the material turns into liquid lava and quickly cools and hardens again.
    The only success is with a coarse wheel(36 grit) on my bench grinder. It takes a while, and the plastic will melt off and burn you...........
    ...........but chicks dig scars.