Quantcast
1st Nakiri Choices - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Nakiri Choices

Quote Originally Posted by wjd1 View Post
    I appreciate the feedback and advice....from what I've read the CC is not as bad as you describe it....I know it is not as good as stones or an EP.....BUT I really dont want to "go down that road"....If its an appropiate analogy....I buy preground coffee...not Maxwell House either....so I dont mind spending a little extra....But coffee "folk" probably frown on someone not grinding there own beans...I dont have time to or care to....but do know its probably better.....so back to knives....

I wasn't going to "drop" $200...that was my limit.....just want a good value with better F&F.....after some more research im leaning towards a Gesshin Uraka......

Again I appreciate the feedback.....just alittle frustrated that "everyone" thinks everyone should hand sharpen or they should just go to WalMart and buy a Farberware set and be happy....there has to be a middle ground........and for me a CC with good value knives seems to be an OK place to be....
    Ok dude, we're not trying to tell you how bad the CC sharpeners are, we're trying to tell you that NO electric sharpener is appropriate for use on a J-knife style blade. Because of the hardness and shallow edge angle of j-knives you just can't use an electric sharpener on them without damaging them. This doesn't mean your only other option is to get crap knives at wally world, it just means stay away from the really hard j-knives. Henckels and Wusthof both have several lines out now that don 't have finger guards and will last you a lifetime (and you can't beat their f&f).

Be well

edit: wow! bunch of stuff got posted while I was writing this, my be outdated.
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

I'm not saying a CC won't do, but a single stone is a great option to go along with your already existing system. Sorry I I started this bashing. Trust me, we're just trying to set you up with a fantastic combo. With that being said, I play tennis with an $80 racket, and fish with a $40 rod and reel. Trust me, I get it. Sometimes the "best of the best" truly is overkill.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

A two-stone set-up would cost no more than his CC sharpener. But hey..... what can you say? Putting a nice knife through that sharpener feels like washing your car with a Scotch-Brite pad using the rough side.

"I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    I find that I can never open these attachments. ???

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    I got nothing
    Available handles- http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkri...able%20handles

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

"The Way!" LOL Travel a little. People sharpen their knives differently every where you go in the world. All will tell you they know the "right way" and they manage to get the job done.

I recently took on a very cool project, and got some really nice results on mediums you'd never think would work. If he goes easy with the CC, it'll do the job acceptably well. I'd still suggest stropping, but hey....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Well.....I guess I won't buy a nakiri or a Chef's Choice......save about $275....and plan on taking my other 2 knives somewhere local for sharpening......that way they won't be ruined.......or when they get too dull....I could just buy new ones......that sounds like the "right thing to do''.....

+ Reply to Thread