Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding bolster to western handle

Hi Bill, I'm installing the handle myself. Hidden pins sounds like an interesting idea. Then I'd be sure they wouldn't show through. Bolsters aren't all that thick though - do hidden pins provide enough gripping power if they're penetrating only part of the bolster?

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    I think that there may be some missunderstanding here. drill all the way through the bolsters with a drill the size of the pin that I am going to use. Then from the outside of the bolsters I drill about halfway into the bolster enlarging the previous hole two to five thousandths larger that the pin. I then sand the pin clean of any oxides and clean the hole with a pipe cleaner and acetone. put the pins in the holes and peen them in. you need to hammer firmly at first but not too hard. then when the bolsters are firmly being held on the blade mammer the pin pretty hard. What you ant to do is to swell the pin enough to hold the bolster on then drive the pin into the larger part of the hole upsetting it enough to completely fill the holes. If there is ant oil or dirt in the hole or on the pin it will show up in the finished product. if you start to see a line around the pin try re hammering evrything down a little harder than before. use the same material as the bolsters for pins.

Thanks for spelling it out for me Bill! We're on the same page now. That also looks like a good method. Maybe I'll give them both a shot on some practice metal and see which works best for me.

Peter

That is the same way I do things, would have chimed in earlier, but work sucks! Just to add, I leave about 1/8" or a hair less sticking out of each side of the bolster, tap each pin on each side to swell the ends, once the bolsters are tight against the tang, firmly hammer them. I use a 2 1/2 pound hammer, and pound the pins till their flat against the bolsters. Grind and polish, if you like, or leave satin finished. The biggest isue I had was once or twice, I got an odd pin of a slightly different stock, you could see the pins as a slightly discolored circle.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

bill.....what if you're using damascus or mokume on your knives and have a pattern on the bolster?.....obviously you can't use a regular pin....what dop u do in those circumstances.....ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

Are you doing this on Mokume bolster as well?

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Are you doing this on Mokume bolster as well?
    I'm certainly not on my first attempt!

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    If using Mokume or damascuss bolsters then you only have two choices. iether learn to solder really well and solder on your bolsters or us a pin that contrasts and make the pins part of the design. I go for the solder

thanks bill...that's what i was guessing...thanks for the info....ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !