Quantcast
natural stone recommendation - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: natural stone recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
    "It's the Indian, not the arrow."

Your stone isn't 'significantly reducing a burr/wire edge', the techniques and motions you're replicating are actively reducing the burr.
    so you have tried enough naturals and enough synthetics on enough variety of steels to be able to draw that conclusion?
    Not saying that there are magical stones that do the work for you, but the Jnats tend to have that effect on the burr because of the nature of how they operate.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    cheezit, you have an awesome screen name. But i think Dave knows what hes talking about when it comes to sharpening, its his business. literally.
    So you're saying that if I had the 'exact' same stone as Dave I would be able to achieve similar edges? No...

Like you said, it is literally Dave's business to know sharpening - years of experience (read: skill) - and while natural stones do have unique properties, wouldn't how you're applying the steel to the stone have more effect on the edge than simply the mineral composition of the stone?

So you're saying that if I had the 'exact' same stone as Dave I would be able to achieve similar edges? No...

Like you said, it is literally Dave's business to know sharpening - years of experience (read: skill) - and while natural stones do have unique properties, wouldn't how you're applying the steel to the stone have more effect on the edge than simply the mineral composition of the stone?
    The way the slurry of a natural works is different to the way synthetic slurry works.

"It's the Indian, not the arrow."

Your stone isn't 'significantly reducing a burr/wire edge', the techniques and motions you're replicating are actively reducing the burr.

I'd agree with you if I could replicate the same with synthetics. With those I can make the wire edge smaller and smaller but never really remove it. With naturals I grind the wire down pretty quickly and to the point that I can't make it reappear even with my tests I do. I can't explain why though, I've only got theories on that.

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    The way the slurry of a natural works is different to the way synthetic slurry works.
    I think you missed my point. But if I understand you correctly, you're trying to make the point that, all things being equal, the relative attributes of a natural waterstone lend it to 'deburr' in a more efficient way than a synthetic stone.

Maybe what I'm trying to say is that I feel the most important aspect of sharpening isn't the tool you're using, but simply how you're using it. Furthermore, just based on my experience, friends and those I talk to who purchase stones under the impression that the stone contains a special attribute, a characteristic that will somehow imbue their knives' with superior edges, usually end up disappointed by the end results.

Anyway, I think we should agree to disagree. I don't want to drag this off-topic. (unless the discussion is fine the direction it's going )

I think you missed my point. But if I understand you correctly, you're trying to make the point that, all things being equal, the relative attributes of a natural waterstone lend it to 'deburr' in a more efficient way than a synthetic stone.

Maybe what I'm trying to say is that I feel the most important aspect of sharpening isn't the tool you're using, but simply how you're using it. Furthermore, just based on my experience, friends and those I talk to who purchase stones under the impression that the stone contains a special attribute, a characteristic that will somehow imbue their knives' with superior edges, usually end up disappointed by the end results.

Anyway, I think we should agree to disagree. I don't want to drag this off-topic. (unless the discussion is fine the direction it's going )
    OK, THIS IS GETTING REAL FRICKING OLD! Why is it that over the last month or so every f***ing thread keeps turning into a stupid f***ing argument? (and I do mean stupid in the literal sense, as in dumb, ignorant, asinine...) I'm getting real tired of it and I imagine I'm not alone.
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Cool the jets there, turbo.

Remember, don't sweat the small stuff.

Cool the jets there, turbo.

Remember, don't sweat the small stuff.
    Ok, guess I asked for that

Be well,
    Mikey
    Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

He has a point, the guys your asking have years of experience/ knowledge and skill.

Not that they are perfect but it shouldn't have to be a scientific reason, it just works.

Also in my opinion the tool does make work harder or easier, you can always improve skills but if you have a more efficient tool you can work faster/ better.

The reason I use gesshin stones, because they cut faster, and leave good edges. Not because my old stones weren't good or didn't produce good results but time is money and time is love ( rather spend time with family then spend all day sharpening my kit)

Jnats make burr/wire edge smaller Period !
    It is not for fun almost all Razor and high end tool users in Japan use Jnats to Finishing they tools

There is also many downsides to Jnats over synthetics but its another story

As for recommendation Good soft Jnat without inclusion is always best to begin with

+ Reply to Thread