Quantcast
Masamoto gyutos on rakuten. - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Masamoto gyutos on rakuten.

Wow, authentic "shall be none the worse for it haze ball" quality...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by rdm_magic View Post
    Mine came today, took around two weeks including being held up at customs. I got slammed there, as per usual. Huge box, but very very well packaged. Knife is nice, and it came with a blondish ferrule like I asked for, , has two dark stripes in it.
    Based on this I'd buy from rakuten again
    God, don't remind me of custom charges! Iv'e got a Heiji on the way from Japan (not from rakuten) and i know i'm going to get killed by UK customs. The last time i bought a knife from overseas i was charged double than what i should have been.

Nice score on the KS btw. I hope you didn't get one of the thick behind the edge one that everyones talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphex View Post
    God, don't remind me of custom charges! Iv'e got a Heiji on the way from Japan (not from rakuten) and i know i'm going to get killed by UK customs. The last time i bought a knife from overseas i was charged double than what i should have been.
    AFAIK Customs duty should be 8.5% on knives from Japan, Import VAT 20% and usually a "holding fee" from an arsehole company like Parcelforce (15 quid!). I like JCK.

I used it at work today, I don't think its thick behind the edge, but that might just be me being naive and not having as high standards as you guys. It does seem to have a pretty roughly finished handle that could use some oil on it. Dunno if thats a normal thing for them

Customs came to £42, including parcelforces fee

seems like Australia is quite import friendly. 0 tax on anything less than AU$1000 (US$ 900, £580).

masamoto ks handle arent very impressive ootb. but you can improve them.

How's best to improve them?

Masamoto KS 240mm Gyuto delivered to my door in 4 days from Japan for $225. You can't beat that. The F&F was excellent on this knife, I was a little concerned because I had heard stories about the quality of some of the Masamoto knives from Rakuten. I wouldn't have this knife if I hadn't been able to get it so cheap. The $325-350 they normally retail for was out of my league.

I got mine in the mail, Canada customs killed me, charged me $62. Probably should've shipped it to the States to dodge that bullet.

I got a saya to go with it, he charged ¥2730 for it (240).

Ended up being just slightly cheaper than jck factoring the customs hit. Alas it's the price of living here. Not sure if it's worth contesting the charge.

At least there wasn't a UPS/Fedex/DHL brokerage fee.

Quote Originally Posted by aser View Post
    I got mine in the mail, Canada customs killed me, charged me $62. Probably should've shipped it to the States to dodge that bullet.

I got a saya to go with it, he charged ¥2730 for it (240).

Ended up being just slightly cheaper than jck factoring the customs hit. Alas it's the price of living here. Not sure if it's worth contesting the charge.

At least there wasn't a UPS/Fedex/DHL brokerage fee.
    There's certainly no point in contesting the charge...The only reason you don't get hit with those charges when you orderered from JCK is because JCK fraudulently declares their products as being worth less than 20 dollars and therefore are not charged duty or tax by Canada customs.

You should have been charged 5% duty + 13% HST + a 10$ handling fee by Canadapost.

My google research tells me that duty on a Japanese kitchen knife to the US is 15%...Can any Americans confirm this or tell how much duty/taxes they pay when they order from someone who puts actual value on the customs declaration?