Quantcast
New Tanaka Advice or Suitable alternative
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Tanaka Advice or Suitable alternative

New Tanaka Advice or Suitable alternative

So im looking to buy my first 'Proper' Japanese knife. For years I have been using a set of Global's but mainly using a Gyutou style knife as most people do. While they've been good there nothing special and I don't find them comfy in anyway.

So without spending a bomb I've looked extensively at different Gyutou's and I think a Tanaka is what I want. It seems to have numerous positive reviews both on Fit and Finish (Yes there's some shady reports) but the style as well.

Now this is where my confusion lies. I've seen several websites selling 'Tanaka' blades and want to know your advice. Here goes:

1: Tanaka is the blade maker correct? - So any website advertising them should be made by the same team?
    2: Which would be most peoples preferred steel. I would like long endurance (hardness) therefore heading towards Damascus Blue Steel but I am worried about the oxidation, does this disappear on veg etc if a proper maintained patina is present?
    3: Or would most people prefer stainless for a do it all knife in the home kitchen. P.s I am an OCD sufferer who loves cleaning and treating but who wants SHARPY-SHARP and a long lasting easy to maintain edge. Chipping isn't an issue.
    4: What is the difference in quality of the below knives and what would be most peoples preferred choice?

http://*******.com/MM270Gyuto - MetalMaster Damascus Blue Steel 270mm Gyutou

http://*******.com/MM240Gyuto - MetalMaster Damascus Blue Steel 240mm Gyutou

http://*******.com/MM240VGGyuto - MetalMaster Damascus VG10 240mm Gyutou - same for 270mm

http://*******.com/MM240GinGyuto - MetalMaster Ginsanko steel

http://www.This Site Not Allowed Here.com.com/tanakagyuto1.html - Damascus Blue - Are they the same?

Or

http://*******.com/330mateTanaka - 330mate Tanaka in a 240-270mm

I appreciate the help and I know its exhaustive but I hope its a 1 post job.

GWalkaa

Welcome aboard!

1. Yes, Tanaka is the maker - there are different family members who make knives, but the damascus line is all made by the same guy (or at least it's his name on the knives)

2/3. I personally prefer the blue steel versions, but the VG10 ones are okay too. I get a bit of chippiness with the VG10 petty, but the gyuto has been a-ok. The blue steel versions are a bit nicer, I find, but yes you'll get patina on the blue steel versions. Nothing crazy-reactive, and my onions, garlic, etc are okay... I think. I ought to use one of them on some garlic tonight to make sure about that one

4. Same knives, but some sellers' versions have black plastic ferrules and others have buffalo horn. Fit and finish on the handles is definitely better on the buffalo horn ones. There is always a bit of a "step" from ferrule to handle on the plastic ferrule ones, but pretty neat and smooth on the horn ones. Not perfect, but quite good.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Welcome aboard!

1. Yes, Tanaka is the maker - there are different family members who make knives, but the damascus line is all made by the same guy (or at least it's his name on the knives)

2/3. I personally prefer the blue steel versions, but the VG10 ones are okay too. I get a bit of chippiness with the VG10 petty, but the gyuto has been a-ok. The blue steel versions are a bit nicer, I find, but yes you'll get patina on the blue steel versions. Nothing crazy-reactive, and my onions, garlic, etc are okay... I think. I ought to use one of them on some garlic tonight to make sure about that one

4. Same knives, but some sellers' versions have black plastic ferrules and others have buffalo horn. Fit and finish on the handles is definitely better on the buffalo horn ones. There is always a bit of a "step" from ferrule to handle on the plastic ferrule ones, but pretty neat and smooth on the horn ones. Not perfect, but quite good.

Good start - Thank you.

About the handles i saw on another forum about the octagonal handles Tanaka offers - Any thoughts?

Just a heads up. The different Tanaka knives are all completely different from one another. The Blue #2 may have the best profile, geometry and steel, but many find it to be extremely reactive. None of them will win any fit and finish contest....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Just a heads up. The different Tanaka knives are all completely different from one another. The Blue #2 may have the best profile, geometry and steel, but many find it to be extremely reactive. None of them will win any fit and finish contest....
    That was my concern. But would there be any superior alternatives without compromising on cut?

It's true, the knives are definitely not same-knife-different-steel deals and if you look at the kurouchi versus damascus lines (and, I suppose the regular kasumi/clad line) they are also different.

I actually like the way the 240 VG10 gyuto feels better than the 240 blue. There's a slight difference in balance that makes the VG10 one feel just a bit more nimble for me.

Unfortunately there's no way to get a sense of these differences looking online without any prior experience with them.

With regards to reactivity, no issues with the food, but yes, I think the cladding itself turns color pretty quickly. Had my wife worried about the damascus santoku after the cladding developed orangey patina on it right in front of her eyes. I checked it out and it wasn't rust, just something in one of the veggies she was prepping that gave it that color.

In comparison to some other knives' cladding, the reactivity is okay. No food discoloration from what I've seen - but if patina on your knife itself isn't your thing, you might go nuts polishing the Tanaka every time you use it
    Len

Oh, and as far as the 240 gyutos go, I think both the VG10 and blue versions are really nice to use. The VG10 one has stainless cladding so no worries about reactivity with anything there.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Oh, and as far as the 240 gyutos go, I think both the VG10 and blue versions are really nice to use. The VG10 one has stainless cladding so no worries about reactivity with anything there.
    Okay and without prior knowledge how much longer would a Blue steel hold its edge for over a stainless and how much easier is it to maintain. Does it outway the reactiveness? - Generally Speaking

Ginsanko version has been recieving alot of praise recently. i am about to recieve a pass around in the mail real soon, ill probably share my thoughts about it on the pass around thread.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Ginsanko version has been recieving alot of praise recently. i am about to recieve a pass around in the mail real soon, ill probably share my thoughts about it on the pass around thread.
    I look forward to hearing about it. I havent seen or read anything on them. May do some searches.