Quantcast
New Tanaka Advice or Suitable alternative - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Tanaka Advice or Suitable alternative

Quote Originally Posted by GWalkaa View Post
    has anyone ever come across this before?

http://www.paulsfinest.com/Moritaka-...bon-Steel.html

Thanks
    There's been a little bit of chat about these in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    There's been a little bit of chat about these in the past.
    Ahh and from what i see not to positive. Is it one to avoid?

Ahh and from what i see not to positive. Is it one to avoid?
    If you are considering I'd read this post first.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...how-long/page5

As a point of order the iron cladding on these is crazy reactive, rust-on-sight stuff. I get the "it's traditional/easy to sharpen" thing, but frankly it's just a PITA.

Interesting no notes on 330mate.

So any thoughts on the differences or preferences between MetalMaster and 330Mate?

Interesting no notes on 330mate.

So any thoughts on the differences or preferences between MetalMaster and 330Mate?
    Shipping from both takes a long time, e-mail communication patchy at best. I'd definitely pay for EMS shipping.

Thanks for the advice.

I have contacted MetalMaster asking about the handles. Is there a best way to contact him and also prices? I don't want to be rude but the prices vary from his site to eBay. I'm sure this is to cover the costs of eBay sellers fees. But if someone doesn't mind disclosing how much they paid it would be helpful.

Metalmaster's prices vary even on eBay. Sometimes he'll have the same item posted twice with one offered at a discount. Note that if you buy from him off eBay, basic shipping is free (if you're in no rush).

330mate's Tanaka knives almost always come with plastic ferrules; it's a few bucks extra if you want horn. Metalmaster's Tanaka knives almost always come with horn ferrule by default.
    Len

This is a great forum. Lots of useful help and im sure i will make my decision very soon. If anyone else does have any other suggestions/opinions or whatever on Tanaka knives or others please chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by VanIsleSteve View Post
    FWIW, I just received a 240mm in both the Ginsanko and Blue. I am a novice at home cook, but so far like both. The blue is definitely fit and finished nicer, but that may be because I opted for the ebony handle upgrade, not sure if they pick the nicer finished blanks when they put on the nicer handle? But, it is much better.

Carbon in the top shot, ginsanko in the 2nd shot(sorry about the bad quality shots, it is from my Galaxy Note)
    how much was handle upgrade? which do you prefer more right now ginsanko or blue?

I recently ordered two Tanaka knives, one from Metal Master the other from 303. Both took about 10 days to land on the west coast. I've sent emails and questions to both sellers, metal master replies within 1-2 days, 303 took like a week to reply. Confirmed what others have said, the 303 knife had the plastic ferrule. But even with the buffalo ferrule the ho handles on these tanakas pale in comparison to my yusukes.

+ Reply to Thread