Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help sharpening a Fujiwara...

Need help sharpening a Fujiwara...

Hey everyone,

I recently posted about a Fujiwara 270mm Suji I purchased from Koki for my Father-in-Law. The knife seems to be a faux single bevel and has me very confused on how to sharpen it. I've looked it over in detail and I am still at a loss as to whether or not there is a bevel on each side. The face of the blade cleary has a secondary (shinogi) bevel and a primary bevel. The back of the blade appears to be flat but without the hollow grind that a true single bevel has. There appears to possibly be a very tiny, as thin as a hair bevel on the flat side but I am not sure. It could very well be a micro-bevel but I do not have a jeweler's loop on hand to tell for sure.

Do any of you have any experience with this particular suji or can you tell from the pictures exactly how I am supposed to sharpen it? Do I follow the standard practice of double-bevel sharpening or go places I have never been and sharpen it single bevel style? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0520.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	105.1 KB 
ID:	639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0523.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	640  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	641   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	642  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0524.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	643  

Nice knife.

I would follow the factory angles for that microbevel and put a 70/30 or 80/20 on it. I wouldn't mess with the secondary bevel at all - looks like it's there to push the slices away from the blade - you don't want to blend it or round it off or anything like that.

Thanks Seb!

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    Thanks Seb!
    Welcome!

Nice pix, btw.

I'd go 99/1. Sharpen only the outside of the blade and deburr on your finest stone with stropping on the back side of the blade. Done.

Remember, this one is for Pete's father-in-law who may not be a knifenut so a more durable configuration might be preferable (to start with, anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    Nice knife.

I would follow the factory angles for that microbevel and put a 70/30 or 80/20 on it. I wouldn't mess with the secondary bevel at all - looks like it's there to push the slices away from the blade - you don't want to blend it or round it off or anything like that.
    About following the factory angle:
    my suji arrived with an angle of 7 degrees which the steel can't hold. I changed it to 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    About following the factory angle:
    my suji arrived with an angle of 7 degrees which the steel can't hold. I changed it to 12.
    On a FKM suji? Well I'll be durned!

However, I would guess (just from eyeballing the pix) that the r/h factory bevel on Pete's is about 20-degrees to start with anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Seb View Post
    On a FKM suji? Well I'll be durned!

However, I would guess (just from eyeballing the pix) that the r/h factory bevel on Pete's is about 20-degrees to start with anyway.
    No, I'm sorry. Mine is a FKH.

As a lefty, I would be disappointed if I purchased this knife, being sold as suji.... the flat side makes it more yanagi, no?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com