Quantcast
100 degrees and knife shop
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 100 degrees and knife shop

Sponsors

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.

100 degrees and knife shop

I discovered yesterday that one hundred degree temps and knife shops don't really mix. I got really dizzy started sweating profusly and then puked for about an hour. I was considering the ER when I finally stopped and after a nap woke feeling better.
    Has this happened to anyone else here?

Happened a couple of times when I've gotten really dehydrated. They're not kidding when they say drink lots of fluids when it's hot.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    100 degree temps don't like anyone, Bill. It's been 95 to 100 in my tin box mobile home, in Boise, for the last 4 weeks...every day and night. Doesn't agree with me, even tho' I don't actually have to do chit. I know I don't have to tell your to Be careful around your machines and try to have someone check on you occasionally..

We were at the track for a 3-day-weekend last week. Friday was in the upper 90s and very humid. Pretty much spent the day from 7:00 am - 7:30 pm either outside, or in a car w/ a helmet on. Drank over 2 gallons of water and gatorade, and only had one beer in the early evening. Went to bed feeling fine and awoke at 2:00 am with a splitting headache; could not shake it or fall back to sleep. Back at the track Saturday morning w/ headache plus lightheadedness/ nausea. Went out once with my student and did not drive myself. Spent a large part of the day in a classroom building trying to recover. Did not feel better until Sunday morning, but after a few more hours outside the headache was back by lunch time. Packed it in an drove back home.

I really did my best to stay ahead of it last weekend, as I got my butt royally kicked last summer playing soccer in mid-90s temp, and drinking only a couple hard lemonades after the game (I finished my water at half time). It actually hit full-force right after I got home and my wife was concerned enough she called 911 and the local FD sent an ambulance and carted me off to the hospital to get fluids via IV. Not an experience I want to go through again, as my portion of the bills (after insurance paid their part) was still ~$1k. That money would have been much, much better served going towards the purchase of a nice custom knife...

Loss of salt will make you feel like crap also. When you perspire alot you lose salt as well as liquids. I've been pleasantly surprised at how much better I've felt after taking some salt on my tongue and digesting it. Works fast too.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Also, stop every few hrs and wet a towel. put it on the back of your neck. It helps with heat stroke, which I think you ended up having. (not medical advice, I could be talking out of my a@@)
    Chewie's the man.

That reminds me, running cold water on your wrists is also supposed to be a great for the heat.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Burls View Post
    Loss of salt will make you feel like crap also. When you perspire alot you lose salt as well as liquids. I've been pleasantly surprised at how much better I've felt after taking some salt on my tongue and digesting it. Works fast too.
    I don't recommend this, but if I suspect a lot of salt loss, I immediately cook up at least as pound of bacon, and have several BLTs, in rapid succession..

Emergency bacon is a must.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Oh yes. Emergency bacon is something one should never be without.

+ Reply to Thread