Quantcast
100 degrees and knife shop - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 100 degrees and knife shop

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    As an added bonus, in hot weather it can be down quickly in the microwave. <g>

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    Ha Ha Great new post for national Bacon day. Bacon as a first aid treatment. I'm in might have to make up some choclate covered bacon just for emergencies.

I did do the cool rag on the head and back of my neck. also started drinking water slowly after I was done puking and the more as my tummy felt better. As buike hunter said it has been 97 a max of 113 here for the last three weeks. supposed to cool down here saturday. I have been being careful and trying to workin in the mornings but have a bunch of orders that I really feel like I need to get out so I was pushing it a little and paid the price. I didn't feel to bad today but as soon as it got over 90 I quit.

take it easy Bill..no sense taxing yourself in obscene conditions
    patience is best observed by all

Many times. Behind the line during the hottest summer days its 120+ with 100% humidity do to pots of sauces and stocks, convection steamers ext. I keep iced towels around my neck to keep from passing out.

Boy, I feel for you guys, out here the shop heats up into the 90s in the afternoons and it's already umcomfortable, and it is not even close to the humidity you have on top of that. Still have a hard time to get myself into the shop right after work and need to wait until the evening for it to cool down a bit. Take care and stay safe, everyone!

Stefan

The only time I don't mind really hot weather is when I'm sitting by a pool or in front of the ocean.

Glad you recovered, Bill. Be careful!

Lives in the mountains near Boise, Idaho.
    Thanks everyone. I think that I am fine now just got to be a little more concious of what is happening. not much humidity here but that seems to dehydrate you before you even know what is happening.

Sounds from the symptoms that you came down with a case of heat exhaustion. It is the precursor to heat stroke (which you really don't want), so you need to make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids and take a break every once in a while to cool off. Don't overdo it, we can wait for the knives.
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away you silly man or I shall taunt you a second time!

It was 107f here yesterday.
    I keep a jug of water and another of watered down lemonaide with me and drink it constantly.
    Every couple hours I go to the water faucet and wash my arms neck and face to remove the sawdust sludge.
    I was doing it to keep clean-ish, but it makes me feel refreshed as well.
    Mark Farley / It's a Burl
    Phone 541-592-5071, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

Yep, heat exhaustion: it sucks... and can go from sucking to fatal pretty fast. From the CDC: "675 people die from complications related to extreme heat each year in the United States – more than tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, lightning or any other weather event combined."

I think others cover most of these in one form or another, but here are my tips after working a number of pretty nasty physical labor jobs in high heat and do stupid things for fun like running and and ridding a bike for hours in the sun:

- Keeping water actually attached to your person helps. I had a insulated cover for a small water bottle that also had a quick belt clip attached and that worked really well. Reaching down to my hip ever few minutes for a drink became a automatic and almost sub-conscious action.
    - SALT! emergency bacon and actually just eating some salt are options, but when I was doing 100mile bike rides, I found that balanced and measured doses worked much better. These: http://www.hammernutrition.com/produ...lytes.elt.html where the best I found.
    - It get's really tricky when you have to wear protective gear, but you have to do as much as possible to enable evaporation on your skin. Sweat evaporating is what actually pulls heat off your body and heavy clothing or dirt covered skin gets in the way of that.
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded