Getting a small remodel done question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rahimlee54

Founding Member
Reaction score
I can't seem to find any one I associate with that knows a local contractor for me to contact for a shower stall replacement. I have to resort to online searches and pictures, can anyone give me any tips on how to pick someone who does quality work or it is just random. Everyone I have talked to is licensed and insured so I have that covered I have just never had to get any real work done. Any tips would be appreciated. This is a 3'x3' shower stall I wanted to have tiled and a glass door placed on the outside, so it should be a really big job, my house is relatively new.

Thanks
Jared

Best I can recommend if you can't get personal referrals is to sk to visit a completed tile job or two from whichever contractors you are thinking of awarding the work to. You also may want to contact some of the local tile suppliers and ask if they have referrals (although check some of their work yourself if you can).

A lot of people swear by Angie's List. I've never tried it myself.

just start calling for bids.

i promise..you can lopp of half of them, when they simply dont show up. i just did my entire bathroom. it was a nightmare. but i got a good contractor..lucky. very lucky.

Is it a pre manufactured fiberglass stall or a lead liner that is beat into shape and then tiled? If you are going for a simple fiberglass one any plumber should be able to do it. A tile guy as David mentioned is your best bet if its the other.

Make sure whoever you end up using writes up a contract agreement that outlines the scope of what they are going to do and any warranty they offer on their work. Write one up yourself if you need to. If it isn't in writing, the likelihood of you getting anything from them if something were to go wrong in the near future goes down dramatically in most states. I learned that lesson early in my career when I hired a contractor to replace a section of roof under warranty and then they didn't perform and it caused a lot of damage to my house and I had no recourse against them and they even tried to file a lien on me when I refused to pay when they finally did come and fix it (as my replacement contractor was just getting started which also cost me extra).

I have an acrylic insert and I plan on going to a tiled shower. Apparently I was incorrect in the cost for a tiled shower by prob 1-2 grand haha. Based on what I want that is. I have a few more estimates coming and some have contracts and some done not. I watched enough court TV after college to know if you plan on getting anything in terms of warranty or service agreed upon you'll need a contract. Thanks for the advice guys.

google kerdi panel and call their distribution office to ask for installers in your area. You should be able to get a few folks with references on the product who are more familiar with traditional construction as well (mortar shower pans and concrete board etc.).

jared, ask the folks at randolph bldg supply, near you.

Good call Tom, I have tried the Tile place but their guy is a no show. I'll give them a call.

Back